6/15/2006

Nothing Bad to Report

I know we've been a little slow over here at MMW, but as I have been sitting here staring at the screen trying to figure out what to write, it struck me. Nothing. We're slow because there is nothing bad to report. No scribble disasters, no babysitting crisis, and no vomiting canines. What's a blogging girl to do? Of course, I realize that saying, "Hey, life is just too NORMAL these days" practically guarantees that tomorrow is going to be a helluva day that will provide me with loads to blog about (darn that karma, or, um, something...), but today, we are feeling pretty good. I mean, how can you not when dinner is grilled chicken, corn on the cob(also from the grill--delicious that way!), and fresh watermelon, and as you eat it all at twilight, you can see the fireflies in the backyard light up? Long summer days full of good food and lazy people have truly begun, and they can be glorious. My favorite things about summer: -Watermelon--oh, foods of the Gods! -Long days at the community pool: a free recreational activity that I don't have to prepare for, clean up after, or maintain. Can't beat that! -Gardens. Oh yes, ours is up and going, showing some good promise, and I am already planning what I will do with all of our fresh produce. Of course, the fact that DH planted 16 pepper plants and 15 cucumber plants may mean that I'll have to suck it up and learn how to can. I mean, how many salads can one family eat? -Busy neighborhoods. Everybody comes outside during the summer, and I always feel like summer is the time when a community comes together, whether it's a neighborhood barbecue, a softball game, or a party at the pool. During the winter, it's just too dang cold to bond. -Mowing the lawn. Ok, I know y'all are probably not with me on this one, but there is something about the smell of fresh cut lawn that makes me smile. I sneeze the entire time I do it, as I'm allergic to grass, but it makes me happy all the same. I liked it when I lived with my aunt and had a small yard to mow, when I lived in a town house and had an ever smaller yard to mow (it took perhaps 3 minutes to mow our little dot, and our whole block shared a mower because it wasn't worth it to buy personal mowers for all our little dots.) And then, of course, we get to compost all those beautiful grass clippings, which makes me feel even happier. Yes, we take compost very seriously in our family. What's your favorite thing about summer? (Cue sound track: Primary Song "Oh what do you do in the Summertime....)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on the baseball games, watermelon, grilling, and gardening. I too love the smell of fresh cut grass! We had 40 acres of it growing up (we owned a sod farm).

Also, I love flip flops! I wear them everyday. So comfortable and easy to put on!

6/15/2006 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger hairyshoefairy said...

I love being able to have my windows open. And I LOVE all the other stuff you said. Oooh, corn on the cob sounds heavenly right now - I already have the watermelon. Yum-O!

6/16/2006 12:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm originally from Las Vegas, where summer is something you endure, not something you enjoy - unless you are swimming you lock yourself away in the house and don't emerge till October. It's just too horribly hot outside. Having your kids outside for more than 20 minutes without water means certain heat stroke. We were there last week and it was 108 - 112 the whole time. Awful. Where we live now, it sometimes gets quite hot in the middle of the day, but it's cool in the morning and again in the late afternoon and evening. It's heavenly - love it. Now I finally see why everyone loves summer!

I love working in the yard. This is our first year with a vegetable garden, so we'll see how that goes, but I'm a huge flower/plant freak, and can spend hours and hours outside puttering and weeding. I actually enjoy weeding, I know that's probably odd. I love to go to the nursery, let the kids pick out a plant, bring it home, plant it - just fun for us.

I'm also with you on the communal nature of summer. In our neighborhood, we have no fences, so the expanse of lawns and yards between our homes just fill up with people every evening and we all chat, and the kids play - it's great.

We have a firepit too, and one of our favorite summer activities is to roast marshmallows with the kids on Friday nights.

OK, that was WAY too long. Sorry. Just very enthusiastic about this topic.

6/16/2006 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Sue-

I love to weed, too. It just makes me happy!

6/16/2006 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strawberries.

6/16/2006 11:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The smell of sunblock.
Eating strawberries.
Flip flops.
Popcicles.
Camping.
Spending lots of time outside.
The smell of bbqs.
Fireflies!!
Family vacations.

We're in Maryland and so far, the summer weather has been quite nice, not too humid. So we've been able to leave windows open at night and enjoy long walks and trips to the pool without sweating to death. It has been lovely!

6/16/2006 01:25:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Tracy-

"craptastic"? That's quite a word!
I'm impressed.

Sue-

Now I need a fire pit. And some marshmallows, graham crackers, and some chocolate bars. mmm.....

6/16/2006 06:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home