4/20/2006

Where God is...

We have been having lots of discussions about bad words at our house. As Jacob's vocabularly increases, and his interaction with other kids increases, he naturally comes across some words we don't like to say in our house. So every now and then, he checks with me about a word. This morning, while I was still in bed, Jacob climbs in and sits on my stomach. J: Mom, is awesome a bad word? Me: (oof!) No, awesome is a great word. You can use it as much as you want. J: Oh! I didn't know that. But did you know that when you use bad words, that's not a good way to love God. Me: How did you know that? J: I just did. You always tell me that God loves everybody, that God loves me. But God is really in your heart. (He then points to his heart with both hands) Me: (close to tears at the beauty of a 4 year old's theology) Where did you learn that? J: I just knowed it. (Hands move to the stomach) And Jesus is in your body, right here. Jesus makes us healthy. Jesus is good for our bodies. Me: Um, really? J: Yes! (bouncing slightly up and down) Mom, am I hurting your tummy? Do you need to toot? Me: Yes, you are. You are making me toot! (Sorry, maybe TMI, but it was in the morning, and Jacob was sort of bouncing on my bowels.) J: Eww, yuck! (covers his nose with his hands. Then he stops, starts sniffing) Mom, I can't smell your toots. Can I sniff where you tooted? So there you go. From awesome to God's love to flatulence. The progression of thought in a 4 year old boy. Some days I just love being a mom.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fun to see how kids learn and understand things and then communicate that understanding in conversation.

I also got a kick out of the stream-of-consciousness that was related ... as you pointed out at the end there.

4/20/2006 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh, I can't stop laughing! I read this to my DH and it just told me I'm weird. But I can totally relate --it's usually my 3 yr. old daughter changing the subjects so drastically.. :)

4/20/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids are awesome.

4/20/2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

*smile*

I love being a Mom too.

And I am a long time lover of four year old theology.

4/20/2006 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I love those talks. They don't come as often when the kids are 10 and 12, but every once in a while The Chairman will grace us with his presence on Saturday mornings to cuddle. He rolls on top of his Father than collapses between us one arm over each of us. And in two years, he'll be rolling his eyes at me...like the girl.

4/20/2006 01:40:00 PM  
Blogger flip flop mama said...

That was too funny! Thanks for the laugh!

4/20/2006 02:59:00 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

A few days ago I was walking home from the playground with my 3 year old son. Along the path are a few bushes, which he calls "the woods". He suddenly announced he was going into the woods to pray, like Joseph Smith. I was, of course, touched, and surprised that he apparently did listen from time to time. As he walked around a bush, I saw him kneel down, fold his arms, and close his eyes, which was so wonderful and cute. A few moments later he got up, and started pointing a stick in the air.

"What are you doing?" I asked.
"Shooting those men."
"Which men?"
"Heavenly Father and Jesus."
"Oh...."

4/20/2006 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

Gina, that was the funniest thing I have read in a long time. That's the difference between boys and girls. My daughter didn't even know what a gun was until she was about 5!

Heather, love your "toot" word. We use the word "poot", but we recently started using "fluffy", too. My mother says, "Did you hear a duck?" (or a frog-whichever suits her fancy). I cannot stand the F, (maybe that should be a lower-case f) word.

4/21/2006 04:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home