4/17/2006

Drenched--AGAIN

It's that time of year again. The Monday after Easter. Time for the annual White House Easter Egg Roll. You might recall last year's adventure. In a word, it sucked. So this year, we had high hopes. Really high. I mean, the weather here has been gorgeous for days at a time. Ok, so the Cherry Blossom festival was done in a downpour, but c'mon, this year Easter is in April. It has to be a beautiful day. And the White House south lawn will be gorgeous on a beautiful day, right? Yeah right. It rained. Again. And again, we are not talking about just some drizzle, although it did start out that way. It wasn't the hurricane last year was, but by the time we actually got to the White House, we were already pretty wet. We got in this time though, which was a plus. We sort of herded Jacob from venue to venue, and in about 15 minutes he started saying things like, "I'm cold. Let's go home." Or "I'm really cold, and my legs don't work. Let's go home." We even made it down to a little area that had a very cool looking slide, and I said, "Hey, do you want to go on the slide?" at which point Jacob started to cry and said, "Can't we just go home?" You know when the 4 year old doesn't want to slide, things are pretty bad. So we trekked on out of there, back to the Metro. Again, the streets, etc were closed off, so we had to hoof it. But, as already mentioned, Jacob's legs didn't work, and after about a block, he melted into a little puddle and just sat there, crying. Have you ever walked 5 blocks with a wet, 40 pound toddler on your back in the pouring rain while trying to hold onto an umbrella and a goody bag? I don't recommend it. If Tracy M. were doing it, she surely would have given birth on the spot! (Want to come to D.C., Tracy :)?) I have to say, though, I did feel some grim satisfaction at finally having procured a goody bag from the Easter Egg Roll, having persued the elusive bag the year before with little success. We even have some photos commerating the event, although none from my camera, because it slipped from my hands and practically shattered on the wet concrete about 35 seconds before we entered the White House gates. I swear, that Easter Egg Roll is cursed. So, afterwards we did what we did last year--warmed up with some hot chocolate and some treats. While we were in the coffee shop with our drinks, Jacob opened that precious goody bag and squealed with delight at the contents: A book, a coloring book, some crayons, and a wooden egg. Yep, just some paper and crayons, and of course that little wooden egg. I know, I wanted to scream "That's IT?!? This is it after all we've been through? I'm expecting a friggin' golden egg here!" Well, no such luck. Jacob spent the next 15 minutes happily coloring away while my parents and I thawed out. I think he liked the crayons more than the actual event. Go figure. As we trudged home to my parent's house, my mom blew into her hands to keep the circulation going, and she said, "Y'know, just once, I'd like to go to that thing when it's not cold. Every year it's just cold!" The weather here now? Calm, breezy, clear skies with good visibility. Temperatures this afternoon reached mid 70's. Sure to be a beautiful week, followed by a gorgeous weekend. Of course. It rained exactly during the hours of the Easter Egg Roll. Naturally. I'm just wondering which president ticked off the weather Gods so much that they have cursed the Easter Egg roll. My money's on Clinton.

7 Comments:

Blogger Suzie Petunia said...

We try so hard to create these wonderful memories and experiences for our kids... a few are bound to end like this, huh? As for carrying a 40-pound toddler on my back through the rain... that DOES sound oddly familiar. I swear. Or maybe it was searing heat, or a blizzard. Anyway, it was memorable, too.

4/18/2006 03:47:00 AM  
Blogger Trivial Mom said...

Every year it seems to rain on easter here too. Makes for some interesting memories, if not funny ones!

So being from the west coast . . . the Easter Egg Roll? At the White House? What exactly is it? An easter egg hunt, a tour, or just the little bag or goodies you were talking about?

4/18/2006 12:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh puleeze! It snowed at my house last night and the Easter egg hunt at the baseball field last weekend (where the children of people I put in jail also attended) required snow boots, mittens, parkas, etc. Be grateful it was only rain and that you had a security clearance.

4/18/2006 12:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, we were at the White House Easter Egg roll yesterday too! We were soaked! Sunday was really warm and sunny and so I had high hopes for our first Egg Roll. The online weather page said it would rain in the morning, but there would be "abundant sunshine" by 11 a.m. Our tickets for the egg roll were for 12:15, so I thought the weather would be great! I even just wore a short-sleved shirt. Dd was in a dress, cardigan and socks and shoes, no tights! What kind of a bad mother am I?! DH was the only one with a light jacket. We FROZE and were soaked on the walk between the metro and the White House. We bought dd some tights for poor dd at a Hects (sp?) we passed on the way there. DH ran and bought sweatshirts at one of those cheap street-side vendors for dd and I and so we were warm. So much for our free event! If only I were a better planner! Several others in our group were in the same sad shape as us. But, we had a great time....until dd realized it was past naptime and cried and cried. Maybe you saw us - me, the rolly-polly pregnant girl in a huge FBI sweatshirt trying to console her 18-month old in a matching top, with little luck. We left cold and wet, but with some great pictures and the coveted goodie bag.

For "the nag", the way to get tickets is to have your husband or someone camp out on the Elipse the friday night before the event to be given tickets at 7:30 Saturday morning. My dh went with a large group of guys from our ward and had a great time.

4/18/2006 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Mary-

Sadly, I, too, prepared for warmer weather, and dressed Jacob in shorts, poor thing. Maybe if he was warmer, he would have laster longer!

Trivial Mom-

The event takes place on the south lawn of the WHite HOuse, which is huge. There are lots of different venues--dying eggs, hunting eggs, rolling eggs, some stage performers, etc. It all seems like it would be a ton of fun--if the sun was shining!

Mary,

I actually don't know how the general public gets tickets. We always get them through a family member who has congressional connections. But I know the event is open to the public, so it can't be that hard to find out how to get them. And I think it would be worth it, if it didn't always rain!

4/18/2006 02:59:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Whoops, the last part about the tickets was for "the Nag".

4/18/2006 03:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm from Seattle and it doesn't mostly rain on Easter. It ALWAYS rains on Easter. And Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Halloween, every family member's birthday, Yom Kippur, Kwanzaa, Boxing Day...

4/19/2006 02:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home