8/07/2006

I can't wait to be a Grandma

Back from vacation with the in-laws. Whew! It was a great time, as usual, and it's always good for J to spend some time with his grandparents he doesn't see very often. But during the course of the vacation, which consisted of hanging out in a condo on a lake for a week and doing various water related activities (I know, it's hard having a life where you have to spend a week water skiiing and the like, but somebody's got to do it!), I noticed some differences between how I was spending my vacation, and how my MIL was spending hers. And I've decided I totally want to be a grandma. Check it out. Mommy spent the week sleeping on a lumpy mattress on the floor with a wiggling child who I swear grew two more legs and twelve more elbows in the middle of the night, all of which attacked me on and off for about 5 hours. I'm surprised I'm not more bruised. Grandma spent the night in a big bed, with nary a child's limb in sight. Mommy had to try and keep her child nourished and hydrated, which mostly consisted of me trotting after the child with a hopeful look, a bottle of water, and a PBJ. Grandma doled out a steady stream of M&M's. Mommy had to make sure her child, aka fairest child in the universe, doesn't get sunburned from the mountain sun and nonstop water fun, which again consisted of me trotting after him with a hopeful look and a bottle of Neutrogena sunscreen. Grandma ate popsicles with him in the shade. And, of course, in the name of water safety and keeping the overall grossness factor down, Mommy had to make sure her child wiped his bum well and showered on a fairly regular basis (read: more than once the entire week), which usually consisted of shared bathroom time all week. Grandma got to poop alone. No wonder people say being a grandparent is the reward for parenthood. I'm ready to rent some grandkids, just for the fun of it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chrissie said...

I love this blog!!!

And this post is toooooo funny! My mum lives with us and how she experiences my daughter is not the same as how WE experience her.

I often think in the middle of the night, when Daughter has crept into bed with us (3 of us in a 4'6 bed) how ludicrous it is that my mum is along the hall in a double bed ALL TO HERSELF!

LOL

8/07/2006 12:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right! Being a grandma is the greatest but there are no shortcuts - you have to be the mommy first. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Just look forward to the day when you are the grandma, it will come sooner than you think. Grandma of 24 and counting

8/07/2006 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger Starfoxy said...

It reminds me of Futurama where one of the characters parents are always pestering her to get married and "get pregnant so we can have grandbabies!"

8/08/2006 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger SusanS said...

Begin the grandma of said kid, I can say it's cool.

8/08/2006 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger SusanS said...

Though being the mom of the said kid's dad isn't all that bad. Somehow grandparents relax more than parents. It's not totally about being responsible. Though maybe mostly. Being responsible is definitely tiring.

8/08/2006 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

I love being a grandma. I like all the things you describe about being a grandma, Heather.

8/10/2006 12:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home