7/13/2006

Non Mommy related question

Ok, this has nothing to do with motherhood, but I need a little bit of input, so I thought I'd ask y'all. And I know I said that I wouldn't blog about PKD on this blog, but like I said, I need a little bit of help and advice, so, here I am. Here's the deal. The PKD Foundation has a walk every year, around the country. (Check out www.pkdcure.org for the walk in your town. It is held around the country on September 16th or Sept 17th. Yes, that was a shameless fundraising plug. Sorry). Anyway, our chapter here in Virginia is pretty new, and we are planning only our second walk this year. I sat in on the meeting, not having much to say, and finally I asked, "How long is the walk? Is it a 5k?" Everybody looked at me for a second, and then burst out laughing. "Oh, you can tell she's in good shape!" somebody said. "Girl, if you expect me to walk 5 miles, you're gonna hafta bring a coffin out with ya, 'cause I'll be dead!" "5k isn't 5 miles. It's 3.2", I said. "Well, I'll still be dead after about 2 miles!" he said, still chuckling. Everybody continued to chuckle as they explained that the walk was less than a mile. Less than a mile? Who's gonna show up for that? So, I was talking to DH about it, and he agrees that more people will be likely to come to a 5k that is on some running club's schedule and pay the $15 registration fee if they can actually run a race, as opposed to some little walking event. I think it could be a fairly successful event, really, if we combined a 5k with a "fun run/walk" for people who wouldn't really be able to run 5k. Dh and I got all worked up about the details, things we could do, etc, but we have one problem. I have no idea how to go about putting together a 5k. Not a clue. I've only actually run in about half a dozen of them in my whole life, and yes, I worked for Rick during a couple, but in all of those instances, I basically just had to show up. I'm not part of a running club, and if you asked me run a 5k right now, I'd probably do it, and then just not call you the next day as I moaned in inexpressible pain every time I moved. So, are there any runners out there who can tell me how I could possibly put this together? I've asked other people, of course, and I'll do some more research on my own, but I thought I'd throw out this question to everybody, in case there was somebody who can say, "Yes, I've planned one, and this is how you do it!" Thanks very much. And I promise that after this, we'll return you to our regularly scheduled program.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather - Great idea. One of my good friends is the race director for a popular Thanksgiving Day race in Somerville, MA organized by the Somerville Road Runners (the Gobble Gobble Gobble). I'd be happy to introduce you, if you'd like. Let me know how I can contact you.

P.S. I've loved your series on Rick. Thanks for sharing.

7/13/2006 03:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather O.,

Our family participates in this:

www.pumpkinrunwalk.org

The web site has a lot of good information.

7/13/2006 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kaimi said...

Heather,

Actually, a 5k isn't 3.2 miles, it's about 3.1. (A 10k is 6.2).

I agree with the comments already made that you ought to connect with existing race planners. In my (limited!) experience, these kinds of things often involve multiple options -- a 5k or 10k for the people who want to run, a run/walk segment of a mile or so for the people who are just there for fun, etc.

As for further detail, I'm probably a bad source, since I've planned nothing. I can say from observation that the (few!) events in which I've participated in SoCal were put together by a company called Kathy Loper (kathyloperevents.com) and were heavily advertised on a website called active.com, which allowed online registration (very helpful for slackers like me) and which also e-mails people who sign up (so I get e-mails in my inbox every now and then announcing local area events).

Good luck putting this together. And if I'm in Virginia that time of year (hint hint, Nate, get your school to fly me out and speak) I'll be happy to participate, as long as you promise to keep any embarrassingly high mile times out of the public blog record.

7/13/2006 04:30:00 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Heather,

I agree with the 5K idea. Here are a couple of local tips. You can try to get information to the local running clubs.
New Kent in Motion (http://www.newkentinmotion.com/newkentinmotion/
Richmond Runners Club (http://www.rrrc.org/rrrc/
Tri-Cities Running Club
(not sure of their web address)

There may be a running club down in your direction. In fact, I'm sure there is...I'm simply not familiar with it. New Kent in Motion is VERY active and you could try to speak with Nancy Burnett to get more info. She works at the Chickahominy YMCA.
From my experience, there is a large running community in this part of Virginia. The Monument Avenue 10K in Richmond had 20,000 participants this year.

Good luck! I'll run it!

7/13/2006 05:12:00 PM  
Blogger flip flop mama said...

Someone put together a 5K run in our community that will happen in a couple weeks. They also used active.com. Sounds like that will have a lot of information. HTH

7/13/2006 05:28:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I actually just registered for a race on active.com, so that's good to know that can be a resource for advertising.

ecs-

You can email me at hbenn99@yahoo.com.

7/13/2006 08:07:00 PM  
Blogger Johnna said...

I'm shocked people thought they couldn't walk 5K, or even a mile.

Hard to imagine that happening here in the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose corridor.

7/13/2006 08:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home