12/30/2005

Guest post from Annegb

Here's a guest post from one of our favorite commentors, Annegb. Rock on, sister! Olivia Newton John once said she looked at some young pictures of herself and thought, "gee, I was cuter than I thought." I thought about that and went back and thought, "gee I was cuter than I thought." Bill and I took a family picture about three years ago. I wore bright pink (I think I will be on that TLC show where they come in and make fun of your clothes and promote black and tan) and carried some roses. I hated that picture. I thought I looked like a cow. I could see the wrinkles and the cheesy faky smile. I just surrendered to the embarrassment and passed them out. I put one up on my bulletin board by my desk, but I never look at it. This morning I looked at my face in the magnifying mirror and thought, "oh, I'm slipping so fast." Some of my wrinkles look like scars on my face. I have more white hairs than brown in my ever thinning eyebrows. I took my thick eyebrows so for granted. I am one of those acne and wrinkles people going through menopause and it is not pretty. This morning I glanced up at the bulletin board and thought, "damn. I was cuter than I thought. Damn. I'm almost hot in that picture." I don't see the big boobs, I see really cute eyes and a great smile and--crap, not a bad hair day. So I want to tell you, girls, look at that picture you took this year and try to pretend you are nothing but cellulite and ever-quickly aging, and appreciate everything about the you you are today. You are way cuter than you think you are and the really sad thing is you may not know it until it's too late to enjoy it. Try not to repeat my mistakes. And Olivia Newton-John's. Who is still pretty hot.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Anne, I love that you are around here to say things like this. Thanks for writing it down for us.

12/31/2005 07:32:00 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Thank you for your wisdom. Much needed perspective for all.

1/01/2006 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me remember a time when I was in high school. I found my mother's graduation picture and told her, "Gosh, Mom, you used to be really pretty."

What a nice kid.

1/01/2006 02:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've gone through piles of pictures of photos that didn't make the album years ago and put them back in. I'm glad I didn't just throw them out! And it's not just all about how I looked then vs how I look now. More about memories that even unflattering or poorly composed photos can capture.

1/01/2006 06:10:00 PM  
Blogger A. Nonny Mouse said...

Annegb, you rule! Thanks for posting! I wish you had your own permablog.

1/02/2006 12:37:00 AM  
Blogger This is Carrie said...

I second a. nonny mouse. I always love reading your comments Annegb and this post is great. I would love to see more!

1/02/2006 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

Oh, you guys are nice.

But do you realize that you are so much cuter than you think you are?? I want you to know you're beautiful.

I would last about ten minutes in real blogging before I told somebody to *f* off or had another meltdown (menopause, you know) and acted like a fool. I constantly embarrass myself. And, to my chagrin, the rest of you. I'm so sorry.

Plus I'm extremely lazy.

You know, I have a passport now. For my cruise. But if you hear that a woman from Cedar City has disappeared, only you guys will know, I had a meltdown and I went to Italy to look for a young lover.
Don't tell anybody. Or if it looks to hit the papers, ie runaway bride, call the cops and say, "I've heard from her. She's okay. She wants to be gone." Totally off the subject but I thought somebody should know where I am so nobody will worry.

1/02/2006 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger Kage said...

The other day I was waiting in a deserted building to meet with a stranger that I didnt know and I called my husband and said..."In case I never come home, come look for me at this address..." He thought I was crazy. And thanks for the post...b/c I had a baby last year and so did a few of my friends, and I think we collectively think we look older and fatter than we used to...and I guess it's a comfort that it's only downhill from here???

1/02/2006 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

My sister just sent me a picture of the four of us sisters, and instead of focusing on the fact that my eyes are so big, they make me look like a praying mantis, I thought of this post and said, "Gee, I'm cuter than I thought." Thanks for the boost!

1/03/2006 05:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home