12/03/2005

I feel righteous

Yes, it's true, I'm feeling righteous. No, it's not because I've finished the Book Of Mormon (I won't even tell you how behind I am. Can one pull an all-nighter for God?), nor is it because I went to the temple recently, or said some awesome prayers, or did my visiting teaching. No, I feel righteous because my bathrooms are clean. Sparkling. Bleached. I even scrubbed the shower. I vacuumed the dust from the corners and mopped the floors. Ah, overpowering toxic fumes. The smell of clean. What does it say about me that I never get this kind of righteous high from anything else? Spiritual malnutrition, or just an unnatural chemical reaction from the Clorox cleaner wafting through my home? If it is the latter, it then begs the question: Would the spiritual experiences in Sacrement Meeting increase significantly if the bishop scrubbed the pulpit down with Mr. Clean every week? Anyway, I also vacuumed my carpets, which makes me feel even more righteous. Just think where I could go if I actually organized my storage room. Oh, is that truly nirvana? I can't even imagine what would happen if I was caught up with my laundry AND my bathrooms were clean. Twinkling, that's what. Caught up in the twinkling of an eye to the heavens above where Fly Lady greets me at the pearly gates, hands me a golden dust mop, and says, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

7 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Hooray for clean bathrooms! That is such a good feeling. Long live Fly Lady.

My bathroom is in serious need of righteousness, as is my kitchen and bedroom. My laundry pile was eliminated only a few days ago and now it spreads out of the laundry baskets across the floor, like some dreadful creeping mold.

BUT, I watched a friend's 3 kids under 5 today for 3 hours (who played with my own 2 yo and 9 mo), practiced my violin for close to an hour, had a family breakfast, cheered on the USC Trojans, made dinner, and had family scripture study. AND took a shower:)

Maybe it's because cleanliness is next to godliness. The spirit is more likely to dwell in clean places, I'm told. I know I feel better when I am clean. There's a certain everpresent nagging feeling inside when the house isn't presentable.

Heather, now you are free!

12/03/2005 11:24:00 PM  
Blogger fMhLisa said...

Heather, if you need to feel righteous again anytime soon, my bathrooms are really scary.

12/04/2005 06:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you crack me up. I always enjoy your posts.

I truely love the smell of bleach...bleached floors, bleached laundry, heavly chlorinated pool water....it's really pathetic and is heightened during pregnancy!

I wish my bathroom floors were that clean....

12/04/2005 07:09:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

OH, once again, I am in very serious trouble.

Huge trouble. The size of Texas or Canada.

*sigh*

12/04/2005 07:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a terrible housekeeper, though I like a clean house, so I feel bad that I live in relative squalor. :)

The other day I heard JK Rowling, who is my idol (author of Harry Potter) say that she wrote book 1 by not doing housework for four years. And I figure, hey, I'd let my house go for four years if it meant I could afford a maid ever after!

Guess I should be writing more than blogs to justify myself...

12/04/2005 10:51:00 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

My favorite quote: "A neat house has an uninteresting person in it" I even have a sign that says it on my front door, may as well warn people.

BTW, heard in Sacrament today about a family that got together and read the ENTIRE BoM in 24 hours!! Took turns reading and went straight through. Go for it, I'll be over here napping

12/05/2005 01:04:00 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Somehow, the smell of bleach does the same thing to me. I love to bleach my ceramic kitchen sink. And I get a truly freakish thrill out of shining all the doornobs.

Sadly, I've fallen off the homemaking wagon lately (I even burned dinner tonight -- and it was soup). If cleanliness is really next to godliness (and I hope not) then I'm hosting the devil and his minions at my home right now.

12/12/2005 07:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home