8/30/2005

Hours to kill, hats to wear

This is actually a post from The Wiz. Blogger apparantly doesn't like her computer, so I'm posting this for her. Allison, one of my dear friends whom I've never met, (ah, the beauties of blogs) started a threadjack and suggested a post about productive waiting time. And since it's a good topic, and since I'm too lazy to come up with a topic of my own, I thought I would post about it. As far as I can tell, she has an 8 yo, a 5 yo, and a toddler, and often finds herself waiting for one of the older two to finish an activity, and has an hour to kill here and there. Her problem? She's not quite sure how to make that hour productive. (Am I getting this right, Allison?) I personally find that having a nail file handy will keep me busy for hours, but then, I'm easily entertained. My mom brings knitting with her, and her down time results in just a little more of a sweater coming into the world. Hmmm.....the possibility of a toddler strangling himself and/or stabbing random things with knitting needles makes that one less than appealing at this stage of Mommyhood. She says she sometimes runs small errands like to the post office or dry cleaners, but she just doesn't have errands like that very often. Hello! Allison! you just answered your own question! Clearly, the answer is: be less organized. Make sure you have lots of random errands throughout the day. For example, forget a few things off of your grocery list when you shop. Then, when you have an hour to kill, go pick up that gallon of milk. Leave huge amounts of film undeveloped, and then take them in one roll at a time. Each roll takes about an hour, right? Or you can run to Starbucks for an evil-looking-on-the-outside, totally-innocent-on-the-inside, costs-too-much-but-oh-so-yummy hot beverage. Or, you can always just bring a book and ignore the children. When we mommies put on the chauffeur hat, and start shuttling kids to activity days, soccer practice, piano lessons, doctor's visits, dentist's visits, dance classes, art class, singing lessons, karate, tae-kwon-doe, horseback riding, Yoga, Pilates, French lessons, blacksmithing apprenticehip, and glass-blowing, there is bound to be some waiting time. Bloggers of the world, what do you with this waiting time?

7 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I am a fan of books, but I don't often think to bring one with me. Waiting rooms in doctor/dentist offices are not conducive to getting anything done because I always have either a baby or a toddler to entertain, depending on whose visit it is. Realistically, the only thing I ever get done is looking at my planner and making sure I'm on track for the rest of the day, except for the few times when I can plan a meal.

8/30/2005 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea W. said...

I would totally bring a book if it weren't absolutely pointless because I always end up chasing toddler around. I would kill for an hour where I actually just sat and wasted time :)

Seriously, errands are the best when you have them because you can usually accomplish at least a limited amount with toddler in tow. There was a park right across the street from where my girls took gymnastics I could have taken my son there to keep him more entertained and just counted that as quality mother/son time. (I didn't because I couldn't stand to miss one second of watching my girls in gymnastics, it was so much fun).

8/30/2005 08:17:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I also would bring a book, but as a mom, you just can't read anything more substantial than Curious George, you know, something you can share with the kids.

I like to take time to look in my planner, see what I have to do, etc, etc. I also like to take my cell phone, and catch u on phone calls that I don't want to make when I get home.

What I would REALLY want to do, of course, is blog, but somehow I can't convince DH that a SAHM needs a handheld wireless laptop computer thingie. Go figure.

8/30/2005 09:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pay bills
Make lists
Talk on cell phone
Read a book
Run to the store for just a couple items (fruit if we are out)
Nearby park with remaining child
Walk
Library
Spend quality time with remaining child (sing, talk, read a book)
Sit and do nothing!!! Daydream without feeling like I should be doing something

8/31/2005 02:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather O. If you did get a laptop...that would just be one more reason to go to Starbucks...because everyone knows that besides the yummy drinks (mmmm carmel apple cider!) most Starbucks have a wireless network (not evil!) that you could jump on. (Also Most Barnes and Noble have wireless netwoks too...)

8/31/2005 09:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just get one of these.

http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.aspx?id=aboutInteractive

They even play movies.

8/31/2005 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Thanks, the Wiz! You got it all exactly right. This blog rocks!

Thanks for the ideas, everybody. Some of them, like reading or relaxing for an hour, aren't feasible right now (not with MY toddler -- he'd be emptying garbage cans and poking things up his nose within minutes), but I actually love the idea of unnecessary trips to the grocery store or very short park visits. When the temps here dip below 90, and when I finally get over the stomach virus that's had me in its grips for the last 5 days, I aim to give these ideas a try.

8/31/2005 10:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home