8/11/2005

A Happy Ending to a Horrible Day

I knew going into this morning I had an impossible amount to do - so I decided to go the park with some friends for a few hours. (Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?) Our kids happily played in a little stream and we moms sat nearby in the shade enjoying each other's company and our kids' playful sounds. It was so relaxing that I stayed much longer than I should have, but finally my mental check-list won out and we packed up and prepared to leave. Hmmm, where are my keys? 20 minutes later, still no keys and a growing pit in my stomach. Oh hallelujah, after I lost my keys last time I made extra copies and I have a spare in my purse!!! I'm so happy, I'll just grab my purse and we'll be on our way....uh huh, purse is locked in car. It's good I'm so compulsive about locking my car doors and heaven forbid I leave one little window down a crack!!!! I borrowed friend's cell phone, "Hi honey, where are you? Oh, twenty-five minutes away from where I'm at and about to walk into one of your most important meetings of your career that should last about an hour and a half? Okey-dokey, good luck."
Well, to make a really long and uninteresting story short and uninteresting, my friend drove me the 25 minutes to hubby's car where he left his copy of key to minivan, then friend (I should mention that this is the same friend who I was with the last time I lost my keys about 6 months ago) drove me all the way back to the park where I again fruitlessly searched for my keys and finally gave up and got into the car.
By the time we got into our hot minivan and my very unhappy children were buckled into their seats, 2 yr. old was SCREAMING. He was way beyond his usual nap-time and we were all going to pay for a very long time, so I thought. I was beyond frazzled - hot, humiliated, exhausted and stressed. (I had pack meeting at my very messy house in a few hours and two of my husband's friends coming to stay with us). I began driving home lost in my anxiety when I became vaguely aware that the screaming had stopped. I glanced in the rear-view mirror to see 7 yr. old stroking 2 yr. old's hand and softly singing "I am a Child of God". He was fast asleep. 7yr. old saw me looking and grinned proudly at her accomplishment. She then turned her 4yr. old sister and began to sing her to sleep as she softly caressed her hair. Soon she too was sleeping soundly and I had a greatly needed respite -- not just from the noise, from my very bad mood. I was shocked how quickly her small act of service completely altered my perspective and how quickly my feelings of total frustration and impatience turned to gratitude and peace. Those sleeping children were beautiful and sweet, and the one who was awake radiated joy and pride. I motioned to her my appreciation and we drove home in rare and precious silence.

10 Comments:

Blogger liesl said...

beautiful story. Moments like that have an amazing ability to erase days of grumpiness

8/12/2005 12:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrea, you made me cry. What a sweet post, and what a sweet daughter you have. My four-year-old also sings lullabyes to her 2-year-old brother, and yeah, it does make all the other headaches absolutely melt away.

8/12/2005 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Those are the times when you think, "Hey, I can handle this mommy thing after all." Sweet post, thanks.

8/12/2005 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea W. said...

Thanks for your kind comments. I've decided there's nothing sweeter than two children you love interacting happily.

Heather, sorry to overlap with your post!

Wiz, LOL at "We couldn't really figure out where he learned it, because, well, him being the third child, we basically teach him nothing." I have wondered that a lot about various things my youngest picks up on.

Also, NO I DIDN'T find my keys and I lay awake all night last night mentally searching through the park. It's driving me nuts. As I mentioned, I lost them in Dec. and just found them about 2 months ago tucked away in my daughter's coat pocket. So pathetic! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with that very frustrating habit.

8/12/2005 01:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of when I locked my keys in my car, along with my one year old daughter. And I was locked out of my house. At midnight. In a gang neighborhood. Fortunately, there were some gang members lurking in the neighbor's bushes, and they had my car open for me in seconds.

8/12/2005 03:10:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so sweet! I'm all too familiar with the enormous stress of being locked out. Sorry you went through that, but man ... you must be doing something right to get that kind of happy ending!

8/12/2005 04:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an incredibly sweet story. Thanks for sharing. I hope to be lucky enough to be raising a daughter like that (she'll be three on the 24th, we'll see!)

8/13/2005 02:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ange, great story--about my granddaughter. So sweet. I just wanted to say to all who write on this blog that it is excellent. It's funny, heartwarming, and--what I value as one of the most important things in life--it is real. You are real moms with real problems, doing your best, dealing with the frustrations. You all write so well. Keep it up.

8/14/2005 08:34:00 PM  
Blogger danithew said...

Great story, Andrea. So great to see kids be loving.

8/15/2005 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea W. said...

I FOUND MY KEYS! Yep, they were in the bag of stale hamburger buns I brought to feed the ducks with. I'm sooo happy, I just feel so bad I wasted my friend's entire day.

Thank you all for your feedback.

8/15/2005 03:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home