6/22/2005

Non mommy related vent

Sorry, this post has almost nothing to do with motherhood, but I still felt like venting to the blogosphere, so read and enjoy and soon we'll return to your regularly scheduled programming. Ok, when we lived in Arkansas, we had this really kinda quirky neighbor. She was sweet as could be, though, and was always giving us stuff, especially Jacob. She would bring toys over all the time for him, and he loved it. Sometimes she brought over a tomato she had grown in her garden. Her tomatoes were, without a doubt, delicious, and I loved getting the fresh vegetables. One time she stopped to chat about the tomatoes, talking about how she hates to eat canned tomatoes, or any canned tomato products, because she used to live by a tomato canning factory. The smells of the chemicals wafting over from the factory used to make her sick, she said, and she has vowed not to eat canned food since. She went on and on about how she thinks that the increase in consumption of canned vegetables and the chemicals that go with it could be the reason that America has such a high incidence of cancer, and certainly those chemicals can't be good for you. Then she lit up a cigarette. Call me crazy, but I'll pick a can of pureed tomatoes over a cigarette any day. Now we live in Virginia, and have an awesome garden of our own. We talk tomatoes and pesticides and fertilizers with all our neighbors. One neighbor, a woman who has particularly robust tomato plants, claims that she does not put Miracle Grow on her plants, that she has tilled the earth with good, natural compost that has added sufficient nutrients to the soil to give her some seriously kick-butt plants. I believe her, too. Not everybody does, however, and she was going on today about how she doesn't believe in pesticides or fertilizers, that those are things that are not good for the environment or good for her food. Then she, too, lit up a cigarette. The irony is just maddening.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny. I have a brother-in-law who lives a very new age/hippy lifestyle and will go on and on about the environment and how people continue to damage it. Also, they only feed their toddler homemade, organic foods, no preservatives, no sugar, etc. Yet BIL smokes like a chimney out in nature and in the presence of their son. I don't understand how he justifies it!!! Drives me crazy.

6/22/2005 09:53:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

I love tomatoes like--is it Lisa?--loves cheese. They are my favorite food. Which is not the subject.

I don't drink (anymore, not for a long, long time, girls), I don't smoke, I don't eat a lot, I'm not obese, but I probably don't have a muscle left in my body. Well, I guess I still have a heart. Exercise is not my thing.

I guess there's irony everywhere.

6/22/2005 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

I love tomatoes like--is it Lisa?--loves cheese. They are my favorite food. Which is not the subject.

I don't drink (anymore, not for a long, long time, girls), I don't smoke, I don't eat a lot, I'm not obese, but I probably don't have a muscle left in my body. Well, I guess I still have a heart. Exercise is not my thing.

I guess there's irony everywhere.

6/22/2005 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

And, I was just thinking, you kept a straight face as she lit up. I would have been "uh, hello, what's that?"after I stopped laughing. And given her a really bad time, not like she's a sinner, but I would have razzed her good.

It's my style.

6/22/2005 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Kristine-

Of course you are absolutely right, that human beings are often inconsistent, and so often convenience wins out over so many things. But the irony of a woman suggesting that canned tomatoes could be a cause of cancer while she puffs on something that is known to cause certain death is just astonishing to me.

Of course, everybody also knows how addicting smoking is, and how tremendously difficult it is to kick the habit, despite overwhelming evidence of known health hazards. One very sharp and articulate woman once told me that she has this same problem, only her vice happens to be Diet Coke :).

6/23/2005 04:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want some real irony? Smoking around tomato plants can make them susceptible to Tobacco Mosaic Virus and can kill tomato plants.

9/06/2005 06:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home