6/25/2005

I'm the mom--still

The other day, I was total Adventure Mom. I took my little son and his little playdate to a really cool place, and we did some awesome stuff. We went on a train, we went on a carousal, we went on a boat ride, we found a nest with some eggs in it, threw rocks and sticks in a lake, you name it. The kids had a great time, got thoroughly worn out, and slept the rest of the afternoon. It was a great day. The next day, my little early riser crawled into bed and said eagerly, "What are we doing today, mommmy? Wait, we just had a great day yesterday. You mean I have to do it AGAIN? I think that's one of the hardest things for me as a mom. No matter how fun you are one day, there is always tomorrow. No matter how great a dinner you made one night, there is still tomorrow night. No matter how long it's taken you to clean your house one day, it still looks like a hurricane went through the next. I think motherhood embodies the old myth of Sisyphus--wasn't he the guy who was condemned to roll a big rock up a hill each day, only to have it roll back down again? I love being a mom, I do. I love my son, and there are things about motherhood that make me smile and giggle and act goofy and overall rejoice in the creation of life and my role in it. Every now and then, though, I think I'd like the rock to stay put so I can go shopping. Or at the very least, take a nap.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kaimi said...

Heather writes: "we went on a carousal"

Definition of carousal (from dictionary.com): "A riotous drinking party."

See http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=%20carousal .

I think youve established yourself as the 'nacle's most liberal parent, Heather. :P

(Unless you meant "carousel").

6/26/2005 08:54:00 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Kaimi, you got me. I regularly expose my 3 year old to riotous drinking parties. That way, when I introduce the drugs, it won't be such a shock to his system, what with the alocholism and all.

6/26/2005 04:21:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

*laughing*

I completely agree. It is a round and round you go kind of job. Almost like a carousel. Never ending.

6/27/2005 04:39:00 AM  
Blogger liesl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/27/2005 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger liesl said...

This is the thing that it takes some dads a while to realize -- that it is extremely difficult to maintain the kind of non-stop supermom stuff on a long term basis. When you only really do outings and stuff with your kids on Saturday and after work, it is easy to be energized by their enthusiasm. But when you're there every day, it is different. You have to same some things for tomorrow, you have to think about the pain that it is to mop the floor after play-dough or finger paints or whatever and that figures into your decisions of how to spend your time every day.

Personally, I try to save those really awesome dinners and super clean houses when dad gets home for really special occasions so he will appreciate them more =)

6/27/2005 12:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, I so relate to this. I don't mind cleaning my house, but I do mind cleaning my house 5 times a day! One lady I heard speak said she told her attorney husband, "imagine you work all day on a brief and then the next morning someone hits delete and you get to do it all over again that day and the next and the next." Except I feel like the "delete" key gets pushed about 10 times a day around here!

Actually, in some ways I think as a STAHM, my days have a little more variety than my husband's or other people who work outside the home (depending on the job, of course). At least my routine varies somewhat day to day and to a degree I can choose whether I want to be busy, lazy, spontaneous or routine oriented. I love that if a friend calls me and wants us to join them at the park, I can almost always pick up and go. I enjoy that aspect of it, but the endless laundry, picking up and meal after meal isn't always my favorite.

6/27/2005 09:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant "SAHM".

6/27/2005 09:39:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Ah, Kristine, there are days when I wonder why on earth I signed up for this mom gig in the first place. And I did it voluntarily, too!

I guess the trick is to have more good days than mediocre-to-bad ones. Still working on that one, though...

6/28/2005 10:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home