9/30/2005

An ode to motherhood

12 years of education Will end in graduation All the parents and the teachers think you're swell If you're feeling like you're still a fool Off to college, then to graduate school. In 6 years you'll be free of those as well. But if you choose to be a mother A profession like no other You're stuck forever, as far as I can tell. You thought it'd be a pleasant life. That of mother and of wife But now your life is crazy, all pell-mell. The laundry's oveflowing Your grocery list keeps growing Your toddler's crying, pointing where he fell. DH is always working His duty he's not shirking But you wonder if you've maybe gone to hell. Dinner's burning in the oven Would it hurt to join a coven? How nice to clean the kitchen with a spell! The child's nose is snotty, Your leftovers are rotty, Well, just tell DH to swing by Taco Bell. Rewind the movie yet again Teach your kid to count to ten And sing, 12 times, "The Farmer in the Dell". "I love you child, dearly," You need to say, sincerely. Otherwise, you'll need a padded cell.

6 Comments:

Blogger Andrea W. said...

Heather, you're brilliant! I'm sorry you must have had "one of those days" to have inspired your brilliance.

9/30/2005 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fabulous! Think I should share it with the Mia Maids?

Hope today's a better day, Heather!

9/30/2005 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Keryn said...

AMEN!

9/30/2005 01:11:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

It wasn't so much "one of those days" as a "Hey, wait, didn't I do this yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that? Didn't I just clean the bathroom, didn't I just vacuum, didn't I just make dinner, and you're telling me I have to do it all AGAIN?" So actually, I composed the poem in my head while I stood in the shower, trying to ignore my son's cries of, "Mom, my hands are sticky!"

9/30/2005 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger mindy said...

Thank you Heather! Very well said! And hugs to you, as I know the feeling all too well.

10/02/2005 10:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather your words are great and well written, have any of you seen "The Girl in the Whirl" on Meridian? Set to a Dr. Suess type rhyme, it is in the same vain as Heather's fantastic ode and quite funny!

10/06/2005 11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home