5/16/2005

Momma's bad mood

I'm in a bad mood today. You know, the kind of mood that hates everything you see, everything you smell, and the mood that makes you want to haul off and pound your small unsuspecting child if he says, one more time, for the trillioneth time that day, "Why"? My sister told me to go get a Dr. Pepper. My husband told me to go eat some actual food, because the generic brand Sugar Puffs I ate for breakfast apparantly have no nutritional value whatsoever. I tried to prove him wrong, and huffily read off all the ingredients on the side of the box. When the first four I read off were, "wheat, sugar, corn syrup, honey", I realized the futility of my previous argument, and had to quit before DH busted a gut laughing in my face. So now I'm blogging, doing it on the sly because my kid thinks I'm mucking about in his room, looking for some lotion for his bum (he's got a rash, poor kid. Normally I wouldn't share this information with strangers, but this is a blog for moms, and if you can't handle stories about bum rashes, seriously, you are definitely in the wrong place!) And I'm in a better mood. I read this over at Feminist Mormon Housewives, and I got my first real laugh of the day. (You have to read the whole thing, really. It's a good one. Lisa is in fine form!) Then I found Jacob's pirate hat discarded by the computer, and put that on. I looked at myself in the mirror, decided that I look downright jaunty, so I've left it on my head. I'm waiting for him to come up the stairs and see me, and either he'll burst out laughing at seeing his Mommy in a silly hat, or he'll burst out crying, saying, "That's MINE!" (I think it depends on if DH fed him those Sugar Frosted Bombs of Death that passes for cereal for breakfast or not.) So my bad mood has been solved by a eating half an orange at DH's insistence that I get some nutrition into my poor body, a funny blog at FMH, and a stupid pirate hat. I'm not sure that I would have come up with this independently, but the formula seems to have done the trick. Any other thoughts on how to break Momma's bad mood? And I promise we'll come up with a serious topic soon to discuss. We aren't all fluffy all the time. We do have deep thoughts now and again, I promise. And I'll start thinking them again once I get my laundry done, the mildew smell out of my house, and my errands run. I might have to still wear the pirate hat, though.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yesterday after church my DH rattled off a string of pseudo-complaints; I can't even remember now what they were. I told him I could not cope with his attitude even if it was a joke (lately he seems to think complaining is really funny) and asked how was I supposed to respond to that even if I was in a good mood? I told him I didn't want to play that game. I was too hot, too tired and too hungry. He was suddenly remarkably quiet ... hahaha ...

So I turned on the a/c (rats! I wanted to hold out until June! Not worth it, though) ate some lunch and took a nap. It helped.

Next time, I will add a pirate hat!

5/16/2005 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kaimi said...

Try Apple Jacks instead. They come with a little spoon-saber. We had to buy three boxes because we have three kids.

No spoon saber for me. :(

5/16/2005 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I like to wear my daughters' tiaras, personally. Or a cowgirl hat.

Honestly, I feel almost guilty saying this, but an emergency stash of diet coke (only because the full-sugar stuff makes me queasy) is what I fall back on. And hot, hot salsa. I don't know why, but I swear it's like downing a jar of endorphines.

5/16/2005 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

. . . or, if your really bad mood hits in the evening hours, some herbal tea and a bath may be more conducive to sleep.

5/16/2005 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger Julie M. Smith said...

You are all rank amateurs.

Bad moods are to be fixed by Nestle Ultimates White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut Cookie Dough, eaten in the dough state, straight out of the fridge.

I go through 2 packages per week. That's 3600 calories, if you wanted to know.

5/16/2005 06:51:00 PM  
Blogger Susan M said...

Music. The universal bad-mood alleviator.

5/16/2005 08:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, that was me above.

5/16/2005 08:13:00 PM  
Blogger fMhLisa said...

I wish I had a pirate hat.

5/16/2005 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger liesl said...

OOO the irony.

I was having exactly that kind of a day today and ended up (at Ella's insistence) with a 6-12 mo. sized pumpkin hat on my head for many hours today.

The thing that cheered me up was that she kept running into talk to me from the other room just to say "pitty, pitty punkin mama" and then dash out to finish her work of artistic genius at the little crayon-scrawled table in the other room.

I'm not sure if it was her compliments or the fact that she repeatedly left me alone to do my own thing that did the trick.

5/16/2005 11:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this post and I loved the one you linked to on FMH. A pirate hat would be perfect around here sometimes. On Sunday, I had to do sharing time, had some extra meetings and was given a fifth lady to visit teach and came home stressed. My dh was trying to be helpful, but was asking too many questions regarding where to find things in the kitchen (we've lived here a year for heaven's sakes!!!) and my 6-month old who misses her morning nap every Sunday was crabby and not going down for her afternoon nap. They were driving me crazy. So, the only answer was to open the fridge, get out the cookie dough I made the day before and bake up as many cookies as I could fit on my wonderful baking stone and then I blissfully ate as many as I wanted...and then took a nap when dd finally went down. Yeah for me!

5/17/2005 10:48:00 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Mary-

Cookies AND a nap? Wow--definite yea for you!

5/17/2005 10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Amy Lynn said...

I throw my 3 little darlings into the car (because they are all strapped in and unable to move), go to McDonalds and buy cookies, then drive around until they are all asleep and I'm on a sugar high. Then I can listen to NPR radio until we run out of gas and have to go home. Or I call the 12 year old up the road and go get a pedicure. Can't wait until summer break when the babysitters are all home and I don't have to wait for them to get out of school!

5/17/2005 02:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home