4/28/2005

Mamapalooza!

Yesterday's Washington Post's Style section had this great article about rockin' mommas. Yes, ladies, it's Mamapalooza! In summary of the article (for those of you who are like me and don't want to follow the link, or don't have time to read the whole article) dozens of mothers nationwide are creating a new genre of music: mom rock. For the past three years, mothers have gotten together for a musical festival around the country that stars local mom musicians and artists, performing music that deals exclusively with mommy issues. Check out these band names: The Mydols Housewives on Prozac Placenta Moms on the Edge Titles of their songs include: Soccer Mom Stomp Take Out the Trash Eat your Damn Spaghetti It's a great article about these mothers who are artists and moms, and how they are trying to show that these two things don't have to be mutually exclusive. And some of their songs lyrics are hysterical. As the Post put it, they could have been penned by a "cranky Mr. Rogers". My favorite is "Pee Alone", by Housewives on Prozac: My needs are simply simple Succintly defined I just wanna read the paper I just wanna talk on the phone I just wanna take a shower And I only want to pee alone Some also have their kids onstage with them. The Post had a great picture of a mom rockin' out with her toddler daughter hanging on to her leg. The mother had a doll stuck in her sexy boot. Most performers can't make the entire country tour of the festival because, hey, they're moms--whose going to watch their kids? I'm not exactly a rock musician, but I loved reading about these mommies doing what they love to do while their kids zoom in and out of their practice sessions and concerts. These women have incorporated their children into their self-expression, and they are all having a great time. Everybody wins. Ok, so anybody up for a song writing night? Let's see--how 'bout we start with the song "Momma don't allow no fire startin' round here", or "Dishwasher blues." Pick up your guitars, your drums, your oatmeal boxes full of beans, and let's rock!

8 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

How about, "Wake Up, Girl (It's Pinworm Time Again!)"

Or,

"Dog Doo-Doo Disco"

Or,

"Smashin' Glass Jars" (extended jam - strawberry, that is)

4/28/2005 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Bryce said...

I recall hearing an interview with the members of the 80s group The Bangles, who recently got back together after all taking time off to raise their kids.

It was a pretty cool interview -- I'll bet they are pretty cool moms, too.

4/28/2005 11:48:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard about this a little while ago, pretty awesome.

I'm very into music and go see bands play all the time. So far, my kids think it's pretty cool. I keep waiting for them to be embarrassed by their parents but they haven't shown any indication yet. I guess it's cool (?) to have a mom who photographs doom metal bands and a dad who builds snowboards for a living and skateboards every weekend.

I bet if I started performing I'd be an embarrassment--mainly because of the type of music I'd want to create. I've only ever seen one band that made me think, "I wish I could do that," a one man band called the Thrones. A guy with a bass and a whole slew of effects pedals all around him and a sampler machine. He said, "Hi, we're the Thrones" and started playing noise rock. I immediately thought, "This is what I would do if I were to ever make music."

4/28/2005 03:08:00 PM  
Blogger Julie M. Smith said...

Get your feet off the keyboard,
Get your hand out of your underwear,
Get the silly putty out of your brother's hair.

Get your shoes on,
Get the pee off the seat,
Get your toys picked up
Get me a hard drink.

(I've said all of these things in the last 24 hours.)

4/28/2005 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Allison and Julie-

Sounds like sure-fire hits to me!

4/28/2005 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Julie, I'll be Ringo to your John.

4/28/2005 07:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's Sleep Deprivation Blues from my band, Placenta:
My baby woke me up at four
He just wanted to nurse some more
I'm so tired and my tits are sore
cuz he never stopped from the time before!

5/09/2005 01:22:00 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

MotherNature-

Thanks for sharing! Those are great lyrics. I hope your band is doing well.

5/09/2005 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home