3/06/2005

What this blog is about

So, I've started a blog, and hopefully there will be others who join my bandwagon and start posting on this site. Just a quick explanation about why I've started this blog, and why I named it "Mormon Mommy Wars." I'm a Mormon, and a stay at home mom. And as a mother, I feel like I am definitely on the front line, in the trenches. It's not always clear who the enemy I'm fighting is, though. I'd like to say something profound and Universal Family-esque, like "I'm fighting the wave of filth that's attacking our families!" Sure, the family is under attack, but that's not why I started this blog. I think other blogs have got that covered. I started it because I feel like often times I'm fighting not with society, but with my own kid! The daily routine of a mother can be grueling, and every night I feel like I've been in a battle! And so I wanted to share my battle stories with other moms, stay-at-home or not, Mormon or not. I loved hearing Lisa K's poop stories and wanted to hear more. Yes, more poop! Isn't that what being a mother is about? So here we are, at the Mommy wars. Let the battle stories begin.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather O. said...

Thanks for your comment, Kristine. Have you heard anything about Judith Warner's new book: "Perfect Madness: Motherhood in the age of anxiety"? Apparantly it talks about the myth of the perfect mom, and even uses the phrase, "mommy wars", although in this case, the term is used to describe how we are all fighting to be the perfect mom. I just did a Superhero party for my 3 year old, and while I was running around, trying to get everything ready, somebody said, "Is this all for the 3 year olds, or for their mothers?" I stopped short, thought about it, looked straight at the person who said it, and said, "For the mothers. Absolutely. The kids could care less about the decorations. I'll be honest--I don't want the other mothers to think I'm a slob and can't decorate my house for a birthday party." He smiled and said, "Well, at least you're being honest."

How insane is THAT!?

3/07/2005 03:25:00 PM  
Blogger fMhLisa said...

Well, I remember LOVING decorations as a kid. They feels different, special, exciting. The thing is, the kids are just a impressed by cheap tacky stuff as the fancy stuff that would impress their mothers.

Also, just to clear it up And Lisa K. is the Lisa's Ramblings Lisa, I'm Lisa B. The FMH Lisa.

I was thinking I should add something clever and distinctive to distiguish us. With the name Heather, I'm sure you understand this problem.

3/08/2005 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Lisa. I actually did think that you were Lisa K, even though if I thought about it long enough, the NYT article did say your last name was Butterworth, which obviously doesn't start with a K!

3/09/2005 10:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home