8/03/2006

Potty Training at our House

Quite possibly I am the worst mother ever. My 2 3/4 year old is not potty-trained yet. That in and of itself is not a crime; plenty of kid not yet three are still in diapers. Or course my first was long trained by now, but alas, the reprioritation of life as more babies come along strikes again. First, I was so pregnant and barfing that I was constitutionally and physically incapable of training a busy boy to use the toilet. Then, I knew the new baby would likely send him for a tailspin, which it did, and I stalled for that. The baby is three months old and what's the problem now? Welllll...... In less than two weeks, we are going on vacation. Airplane rides, long car rides, a trip to Disneyland... and the idea of dealing with a boy who doesn't yet have complete control of his pee-pee through all that makes me a little queasy. It's going to be a bumpy enough ride with just me and three kids, without the potty issue, so I'm stalling again. My plan was to tackle it head-on once we get home from vacation. My poor kid. But tonight, well, we got a little surprise. As I was fixing dinner, sweet little diaper-prisoner Eric comes in the kitchen and gazes up at me with his giant two-year old eyes and red hair, and informs me that he is, currently, peeing. He makes sure to remind me that he has a diaper on, but he wants me to know that he is relieving himself. Right next to my leg. OK, honey. We sit down to dinner, but Eric is nowhere to be found. Eric? We look around the house, and DH calls from the bathroom, "Honey...? Can you come here..." in just that right tone of voice that told me he had found our boy, and I better hurry. In the bathroom, sitting upon the large, grown up potty, was my tiny boy. Of course he is on the grown up potty- because I, diaper-hostage-bad-mom, have not yet gotten out the potty chair. He had removed all of his clothes, taken his diaper off, folded it up and put it carefully in the trash, gotten on the potty without falling in, and gone poop. All by himself. My heart just about burst. He looked so small, and my guilt was like a gigantic booming kettle drum in my chest. What kind of mother doesn't let her boy use a potty?? Ugh. I hang my head in shame. Bless his little heart, he even tried to wipe himself. I'll leave that to your imagination, but there was a whole roll of TP in the toilet. All I could do was congratulate his little self. What an awesome kid. And what a sucky mom. So, if you have any potty training questions for me, bring 'em on! It's a new method I developed. Don't let your kid use the toilet, and when he gets sick of his lame mom, he will use his industry and creativity and show you how it's done. With the right marketing strategy, I bet it would sell! Man, I suck.

13 Comments:

Blogger nestle said...

No not suck, realistic. Seriously, you've got to me more than amazing to inspire your child to WANT to potty train without doing it. In attempting to do mine and asking permission EVERY woman I asked who had boys said not to even start until they were 3. You rock woman! I wouldn't have started either. Has it really been three months since pumpkin was born? wow.

8/03/2006 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger nestle said...

"You've got to Me?" wow brain not working this morning.

8/03/2006 09:27:00 AM  
Blogger ginger said...

You definitely don't want to train before you go on all those trips!
My daughter is 2 3/4 also... DH is desperate to get her using the potty before baby #4 comes in Late October. I have been trying off and on since February. My boys definitely weren't this hard!
DH has now decided he is going to take a day off of work to do it himself. This should be entertaining. Oh well, if he gets it done, I won't complain!

8/03/2006 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Don't feel bad. you intended to potty train him in a few weeks and were trying to limit the aggravation and frustration for both of you. but he just decided that its time, so kudos to him! blaming yourself for his decision is kind of like a mom blaming herself when her daughter gets her first period, it just happens! enjoy that he's so pro-potty right now. i can't wait to potty train #4, but have another year to wait.

8/03/2006 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

I am ignoring my almost 3 year old too. Maybe he'll do it himself, too! That would be sweet!

8/03/2006 11:51:00 AM  
Blogger Mo Mommy said...

Well, when Thing 1 was three I had to lay down the law and MAKE him use the potty. He knew how, but he also knew it was easier to just have me change him. It took a day for him to get the concept and about a week or two to fine tune the specifics (so that's what that feeling means!). Sounds like Eric has the concept AND most of the specifics down pat.
Way to go ERIC!!

8/03/2006 12:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do it when they are ready. I've got some underpants just waiting until my 2 1/2 year old decides its time. As soon as she goes in the toilet once, we will be off and running.
Until then, she's in diapers and I put her on the potty every month or so.

8/03/2006 01:13:00 PM  
Blogger Keryn said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only "slacker". My boy will be three in October, but...well, we tried it briefly but he turned it into a control thing (everytime I wanted him to do something he suddenly "had to go potty"). So we stopped...and it's been six months since I've even tried. With a sixteen-month old and another due in December...well, it's just one more thing I keep putting off.

8/03/2006 01:33:00 PM  
Anonymous April said...

My 3 year old didn't even have an inkling to use the potty... I finally decided I was sick of changing diapers 24/7 for 2 kids and that it was time to potty train. I figured that by 3 he should have a clue. So "wave bye bye to the pull-ups" it was and off he went running naked around the house. He got the whole #1 part in a jiffy, and could go through the night without wetting the bed. But the whole #2 thing has us in a rut. WHat do you do when he won't use the potty for that, but gets upset when you ind poopy undies? sigh

8/03/2006 02:56:00 PM  
Anonymous dangermom said...

My little girl, 3 1/4, is peeing but not pooping in the potty (she mostly does that during naptime, when she's still diapered). I think the poor kid is jinxed when it comes to potties--the worst part was the day she tried to go herself, and fell in. That was pretty traumatic for her, and it took weeks to re-persuade her that the potty is her friend.

8/04/2006 01:51:00 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I think you did it exactly the right way, Tracy. I tried with my youngest when he was about 2 1/2, and he just wasn't interested/didn't quite get it. So I gave up and decided he'd figure it out soon enough from watching his sibs. Sure enough, about a week after he turned 3, he decided it was time, announced that he needed some big boy pants, and has *never* had an accident, day or night.

It wasn't always that easy--I struggled for over a year with my oldest, and rushed my second to get her ready for preschool (I confess to having put underpants over a pullup once or twice...). But seriously, the do-it-themselves method is smart!!

8/05/2006 03:48:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Tracy, you are looking at this all wrong. You do not suck--your child is simply a GENIUS! Way to go spawning such a brillant little guy.

8/07/2006 01:44:00 PM  
Blogger moddy said...

so how much are you charging for your potty training services. I have a 2 1/2 daughter I want out of diapers now, but she is was to content in them!

8/08/2006 04:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home