8/05/2006

Monty Python - the great equalizer?

My daughter's favorite song is "Not Dead Yet" from Spamalot. Both my girls can quote bits of it and laugh. Hopefully I have kept the profanity in it from them. (I try, anyway, and yes, I am aware of the irony of exposing my kids to music that I have to screen. But it's a nice break to listen to something that I enjoy while in the car.) My husband just killed a bee, and both of us simultaneously began quoting "Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto, half not be. But can a bee be said to be, if half the bee, is not a bee, due to some ancient injury." (and if you are now sing "Eric, the half-a-bee" song, you are much a nerd as we are. Welcome.) We had some people over a few weekends ago, and at one point, I started half-heartedly humming/singing "Always look on the bright side of life." (I know that sounds weird, but it was pertininet to the conversation, I promise.) Immediately, we had 8 people whistling the same phrase, and they were all laughing. Last night, my daughter was humming "Always look on the bright side" as she was brushing her teeth. No, she has not seen "Life of Brian" just heard the Spamalot tape. Am I warping my kids - or just giving them social tools for the future? After all, nothing brings a party together like quoting a little Python. It's either a great conversation starter, or people think you're a freak. Either way, at least it's not boring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Reach Upward said...

Last spring the brethren from our ward were pruning peach trees in the stake welfare orchard. One of the guys was dressed in an outfit that made him look like a stereotypical lumberjack. One of the other brethren looked him over and said as much. He responded by singing out, "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK ...," which is probably not the best thing to be singing in the Lord's orchard. But it was really funny when about 10 other men immediately joined in singing, "I sleep all night and I work all day." We all had a very good laugh.

I have since thought about this occurence in light of Elder David R. Stone's talk from April 2006 general conference, where he noted how much we are influenced by the culture in which we live. I agree with him. But it was still darn funny.

8/07/2006 06:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home