8/12/2006

The Elusive Tamagotchi

My daughter is 7 years old. The current trend for 7 year olds seems to be Tamagotchis. I hate them so much. She lost her Tamagotchi. The fact that they are the size of a (fairly large) keychain contributes heavily to this. Also, she lost it at CHURCH, which made me really upset, since she is not allowed to take her Tamagotchi to church, and I didn't know she had it there. In my opinion, church is not a place to play video games, no matter how many people are playing Monopoly on their palm pilots during sacrament meeting. She was fairly upset, and there was no way I was going to buy her another one. But she persevered, saved her allowance (and since she hadn't spent one penny of it since she started receiving it, it didn't take her too long) and saved enough money to buy a new Tamagotchi. We were headed to Target anyway (my current relationship with Target being much better than Tracy's) and I told her she could bring her money and buy one. Target was out of Tamagotchis. We find this out after patrolling all toy aisles approximately three times, and any mother knows walking down a toy aisle with young children is, shall we say, not the best use of time. My daughter, clutching her piggy bank, was most upset. I told her we would hit the Waldemort close to our house on the way home. This time, instead of wandering toy aisles aimlessly, I walked straight up to an associate to ask. She walked over, pointed to the four spots dedicated to said digital pet-thingies that my daughter can't live without. Empty. Tells me they're getting a new shipment on Thursday, and I better get here that day, because those suckers fly off the shelves. K-Mart is across the street. Out. By the way, a K-Mart right across the street from Wal-mart is not the busiest place in the world. But they still sell out of Tamagotchis. I start calling around. Toys "R" Us - Out. Other Wal-Mart - Out. I call my DH and have him stop at a Wal-Mart by his work because they have 4 left. He gets one, comes home, and my daughter pays him instead of the store. Whew. The next day, I find the "lost" Tamagotchi in the church bag.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Wendy said...

My daughter also loves Tamagotchis--she's 9 and has 4!

I saw some today at our "Waldemort" (hehe). There were 3 left. If you think it's hard getting them now, it was even harder a few months ago. They could only be found online for double the price. If you get desperate, they're usually available at: http://www.cmdstore.com/tamagotchi.html

8/13/2006 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

I'm outa the loop- what the stars is a Tamagotchis?

8/13/2006 02:21:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

A Tamagotchi is a "digital pet". It's this little digital video screen attached to a keychain, and it beeps and makes you feed it, discipline it, play with it, clean its poop, all by pushing buttons.

If you ignore it, it dies. If you don't ignore it, it "grows" from an egg to a baby to a child to an adult. It can connect with other Tamagotchis, and it can consume all your child's attention very easily.

Just wait a few years - Jeffrey will get there! Unless, of course, a different toy is the hot thing.

8/13/2006 02:38:00 PM  
Anonymous meems said...

When the Tamagotchi craze forst started around 10 years ago, (I see they're making a comeback big time -- or did they ever go away??), I was living in Japan - you couldn't get them there if your life depended on it. Well, somehow I lucked out on a little mountain store that had one in stock and sold it to me because I was an anomaly. Anyway, that thing was so addictive, I cared for it and loved it (this was before kids of course), and babied it. Well, on a long air plane ride to the States, something happened and it died! I actually cried real tears. Ahh, the wonders of pre-mommy days when I nothin' better to do....

8/13/2006 09:37:00 PM  
Blogger Mo Mommy said...

I had one YEARS ago, my freshamn year maybe? They were so huge at the time that schools started banning them. I knew people who had 5 or 6, insanity.
Interesting how everything comes back yeah? This means something disturbing though.....We're old enough to be RETRO!! ARGH!

8/14/2006 02:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home