7/01/2006

I Am Way More Incompetent Than I Thought

I have internet access! Yahoo! My husband's been out of town for the past week. My internet connection went down a few days ago, so I re-booted the modem, re-booted the computer, and behold! Neither of those solutions worked. As I contemplated what to do next, I realized I had pretty much exhausted my internet fixing capabilities. And life without the internet pretty much sucks. I balance my checkbook and check my credit cards daily. Yes, I know most people don't do this, but I like it - it gives my day a sense of order, even when my house is collapsing in chaos all around me, because at least I know how much money I have, how much money I owe, and when it all comes due. My kids play on their kids websites. They got really tired of the games we had on the hard drive, and whined a lot more than usual. I had to check the status of DH's return flight by phone. And the airline wasn't listed in the phonebook, oddly enough, so I had to call 411 and ask them for the number, and then, to add insult to injury, the flight number wasn't listed in their automated system, so they had to transfer me to an agent, where the average wait time was 15 minutes. I hung up and called Heather, and had her check the flight on the internet, which took about 15 seconds. Their website had the correct flight number, at least. I could not blog for 3 days. Enough said. And then my bathroom outlet stopped working, and I pushed the reset button, and behold! This solution didn't work. I realized that my outlet fixing capabilities were also exhausted. Crud. I had to blow dry my hair in my bedroom with no mirror in front of me, only to hear all the rest of the day - 'Did you get a haircut?' from polite people, who were really thinking what the less polite people actually said 'What's up with your hair?' I hate it when my husband's out of town - I really look forward to that break at the end of the day, the help with the dinner time and the dishes and the bedtime. I knew all that. What I didn't know was how much the house would fall apart without him, because, apparently, I am way more incompetent in household matters than I thought. Maybe I should enroll in some sort of course......

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie M. Smith said...

I hear ya, sister.

P.S.: A book you might like is called _Dare to Repair_.

7/01/2006 04:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Johnna Cornett said...

I was without internet for three says. Finally I called my service provider, and discovered once again that I am incompetent. The modem was turned off. When it's off two of the buttons are lit, because it's still plugged in. Who would have thought?

I had the hair dryer problem too. The hairdryer has its own reset button, just like the bathroom outlet itself.

My excuse is that I get no sleep. My husband's in Bulgaria again.

7/01/2006 05:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kage said...

I love my husband so much, and if he were in town, he probably would have gotten the computer working, but he is not good for much else. I have to get our super to help with things like hanging blinds and pictures even. Yikes. He is great at taking out the garbage though. He hates painting....isn't that so non-male.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea. I might hire one next time I have a home improvement chore.

7/01/2006 05:33:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M said...

Wiz, I am so glad to find someone else who balances the checkbook daily and updates the credit card balance. I know what you mean about a sense of order in chaos. Vive online banking!

7/01/2006 07:06:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I often think, "Hey, I wasn't this pathetic when I was single, was I?"

The answer is probably "Yes, of COURSE you were!" but I like to think that when I was single, at least I tried. Now I have some serious learned helplessness, just because I know that even if I try to do stuff when DH isn't around, he'll just do it better when he gets home, and it's better just to wait.

Sad, but true.

7/01/2006 09:20:00 PM  
Blogger Tammy and Parker said...

Well, if I would have known I would have sent my almost 11 year old over to figure it all out for you. Rigel sets up all the DVD players in our house, figures out what is wrong with the computer. My husband is awesome with all of these things, but they are little 'buggie' kind of jobs and he would rather do the 'he man' kind of jobs.

And as long as SOMEONE knows what they are doing I'm happy!

I just glad you are back blogging. I missed you!

7/02/2006 12:50:00 AM  
Blogger mindy said...

With the computer, I, too, let DH fix the glitches. I have no clue, and don't really feel like learning it right now.

7/03/2006 02:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home