7/19/2006

D.D.D.D.D.D...DORA!

My friend's son is turing 3 next week. She is having a Dora birthday party for him, because, like many his age, he is obsessed with Dora. She gets a universally similar reaction when she mentions she's having a Dora party. "Dora? Or Diego?" It's like they're trying to make his party more 'manly' or something. Did I mention that he's 3? Definitely Dora. Her son's never seen Diego. He loves Dora. (My son loves Dora too.) I see no problem with having a Dora party for a 3 year old boy, but that's probably largely in part because I have one. (Well, he's almost 3). What's weird, though, is that everything Dora related has butterflies, flowers, ribbons, etc, or is totally pink. He wants Dora shoes, but cannot find them without said accoutrements, or even in a normal sneaker style, just sandals and such. Note to Nickelodeon merchandisers - just because Dora is a girl does not mean only girls watch the show! There is a lost money making opportunity here!!!! That is all. Carry on.

7 Comments:

Blogger Heather O. said...

J loves Dora, too, and he's 4. He likes them both, and even though he is starting to talk gender specification ("Girls play with dolls", and "Why does that guy have his hair in a ponytail, like a girl?") he has never said, "Dora is for girls".

He'd wear pink shoes, too, if I let him, so maybe he's not a good example after all.

7/19/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger My Many Coloured Days said...

My husband and I just had this conversation! Our two boys also love D D D D D D Dora! My youngest son is 2 and is potty training - he picked the pink and purple butterfly Dora pull-ups! So who do we have to petition to for some at least neutral shoes and backpacks?!

7/19/2006 04:04:00 PM  
Blogger Bek said...

My 2 year old loved Dora too (and currently sports a purple Dora back pack at all times)

You can't even BUY Diego merch. They don't do the shirts or shoes or back packs or even bday party stuff...so it is Dora or nothing....

P.S. Is it bad that when we ask my son, Jacob, what his name is he answered "Diego" and that he walks around the house singing "Oh, ahhhhhh, Oh, ahhhhhhhh" from the Diego theme song? :-)

7/19/2006 05:12:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Ehhh, big deal. So he likes Dora. Every kid under 5 does! My boys have flowered shoes, because they LIKE them... and I don't care. Dora's cool.

7/19/2006 11:50:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Is it really so important to impress upon small children the notion that pink=all things girlie and that boys absolutely must not participate in such girlie things? The gender/colour issue really gets on my nerves...

7/20/2006 05:51:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

I'm with you nancy, but it bugs me that they assume all Dora fans are girls.

Boys can wear flower shoes (my son is currently obsessed with them). I have no problem with that.

But a lot of people seem to, as they all try to make my friend do a Diego party instead, just because Diego's a boy.

7/20/2006 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger My Many Coloured Days said...

Bek - I found Diego clothes at Zellers up in Canada. I believe they're the same as Target in the States, so perhaps Jacob could be sporting a new shirt with his "name" on it in the near future!

7/20/2006 01:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home