6/24/2006

Progress is a Bad, Bad Thing....

Ok, so I have decided that I want to go back to the old days. Not that far back, mind you, I have no interest in churning my own butter or whatever. And usually, I am in favor of progress. But still, some progress is bad, and I want to go back to the days when one particular aspect of mothering was much easier and cheaper. I have yet to meet a mother who doesn't, at some point in her life, put her child in front of a movie to get a break. Now, yes, some mothers do it more often than others, and we can get into a whole doomsday debate about how much is too much, etc. But I have decided that I want to go back to the days prior to DVD's. I hate them. I really hate them. Bring on the VHS and pop it into the VCR, because I know, without a doubt, that no matter how long we've had that movie, or how many children have drawn on it with Mommy's favorite, one-time splurge of 15 dollar lipstick, that when you put in into the machine, it will work. I have no such promises with DVD's. DVD's have their good points - yes, you can skip the previews, yes, they often have games, and extra features, and the digital quality is blah-de-blah-blah. But trying to keep it unscratched, unfingerprinted, and generally unscathed is more hassle than it's worth. Kids know which DVD is which, and Toddler-man has his favorites, so much so that he likes to climb up on the shelf, open the case, and carry around 'The Incredibles' (arguably Pixar's best work) until the back is so destroyed that I have to desperately try and find another copy, since our DVD cleaner is no match really for the fingerprints of a two year old who has played in the sandbox, had a PB&J for lunch, and is in the middle of potty training. (Yes, we do a lot of handwashing in this house). Also, he destroys my girl's movies without my knowledge, and I unknowingly pop a random Barbie movie into the machine, looking forward to my break, only to hear 20 minutes later shrieks of "MOOMMMMMM!!! IT"S NOT WORKING!!" Then I have to try and clean it, which if it works, great, but if not..... "THAT WAS MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER!!!! NOW I'LL NEVER SEE IT AGAIN!!!I'M SO SAD, MY LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! WHY DID YOU LET HIM GET THE MOVIE?!!!!" I never had this problem with VHS. When my oldest was little, she used to carry around her copy of 'Little Bear' with much love, and she would pound it on the walls, and try to stick into every slot possible, and draw on it with Chapstick, and yet, when it came time to actually watch it, it still worked. And yet, I gave that up for the privilege to pay more for destroyable movies. Life was so much easier then.....

13 Comments:

Anonymous mimi said...

Amen to that!!! We have about $1000 worth of unwatchable DVD's in our cabinet. I keep thinking I'll buy one of those fancy DVD repair kits but then I'm afraid most of them are damaged beyond repair. On the other hand, we have a used VHS copy of George of the Jungle that we bought for a buck at Goodwill six years ago and it still works. Bless you, VHS. I miss you.

6/24/2006 07:55:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

We have the same problem, too. Little tiny fingers put little tiny scratches on a DVD that make 'em worthless pieces of crap.

Stupid DVDS

6/24/2006 08:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Proud Daughter of Eve said...

At least DVD's don't leave miles of film spread and tangled all over the house. :)

6/24/2006 08:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Susan M said...

DVD's didn't exist when my kids were small, but I do remember when my kids figured out how to get the flip-up part of the VHS tape to flip up. And pulled out all the tape.

Can you try letting him carry around the DVD case rather than the DVD?

6/24/2006 08:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Susan M said...

I also remember all the things that I used to find in the VCR. Matchbox cars, lipstick, etc.

6/24/2006 08:26:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

And usually when the movie stops and they start yelling MOMMMMMMMM.... I hav just sat down to blog!! Eric acutally snaped a copy of Bob the Builder in half the other day- yeah, definately not all they're cracked up to be!

I like churning my own butter. Mmmmm...butter.

6/24/2006 09:36:00 PM  
Blogger Lacey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/24/2006 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger Lacey said...

Well, my DVD's are up high and my first daughter isn't a climber.

One thought: Copy the DVD's and keep the original in a CD case holder that is way out of reach, or even locked up. I believe it's okay to copy the DVD's for your own home use because you're not selling them.
Many computers have the DVD copy drive, or you can buy one and install it, usually it's a DVD and CD reader drive.... thingy.You could also buy a DVD player that copies. Obviously it may be expensive now if you don't have either of these, but it can save a lot of money and heartache in the long run.

6/24/2006 11:02:00 PM  
Blogger Trivial Mom said...

We took all our DVD's out of the cases and put them into a CD zip-up holder/case thingy (you know what I mean). Anyways. We did it before we had any kids, just to save space. But now it's great 'cause she can carry around the case, and we keep the DVDs clean and unbroken (and up really high where she can't get at them).

6/25/2006 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger HLH said...

We were kind of slow to move to the DVD's, but I have had a few VHS tapes get worn out (no my children are not TV-aholics!).

My 4 year old knows better than to get into the DVD's, the 18mo. old I still have to watch her. We are using a primative (twist tie)form of baby lock to keep her out of the DVD cupboard.

As for cleaning- a little rubbing alcohol works really well for us.

6/25/2006 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger ginger said...

Plus, with a VHS you can just pop it in on play... most kids don't care about watching the previews... if they are on fine, if not that is fine too. But with a DVD I have to wait for it to go through the whole copyright infringement segment, and get it to the actual movie...
Call me lazy, but sometimes I have things to do besides sit there and wait!

6/26/2006 09:26:00 AM  
Blogger Ana said...

I have heard a rumor that if you register your Disney DVDs there is a way to replace damaged ones for like $7. Which is still some money but it's a lot better than $15 or $20 a pop. Can anybody confirm? Deny?

It's not a bad idea, if you have little destructors like mine, to get one of those Disc Doctor machines. They cost about $50 and can buff out small scratches.

6/26/2006 05:52:00 PM  
Blogger Clark Goble said...

Ditto on copying the DVDs. Not only that but when you copy them you can copy just the movie and leave out the extras and so forth.

6/27/2006 05:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home