6/01/2006

Adventures in Twinkieland

Ok, so I am the Best Mom Ever! Or possibly, the Worst Mom Ever! One of the two. I'm not sure which one yet. Yesterday I was watching my show (Gilmore Girls, of course) and they were talking about Twinkies, and at one point, Lorelai took a bunch of Twinkies out of the box and put them on a plate to serve. Immediately I wanted a Twinkie. I was going to die without a Twinkie, for life was not worth living without Twinkies. Twinkies were the best thing mankind had ever invented. Twinkies were the fount of all things tasty. Let me just give a teeny bit of background here - I'm extremely susceptible to advertising, more than most people, I think. I can't watch TV during dinnertime -"OOh! Pizza!" or "Arby's!" or "We haven't been to Taco Bell in a while!" My husband makes fun of me for it. I make fun of me for it. TiVo is a wonderful thing, getting rid of all those commercials for me. Anyway, I had seen the Twinkie, and therefore had to have one. So I called DH, told him to stop at the store and buy Twinkies for me, and he obliged, being the nice man that he is. When he got home with Twinkies and cupcakes (he likes the cupcakes better) we handed a Twinkie to Toddler-Man. (Ahh...his first Twinkie..get the camera.) And here's the thing - he didn't know what to do with it! He poked at the white (possibly cancerous?) filling from the bottom, licking it off his fingers. He wouldn't take a bite - after all, it wasn't a cookie or a cupcake. He didn't know how to get more white stuff, so he ended up feeding it to the dog. This is a kid whose false god is currently the Great God of Sugar, and he worships accordingly. Yet, he passed on the Twinkie - what's up with that? Then the girls came home from a friend's house, we ate dinner, and we offered them a Twinkie or cupcake for dessert. Dessert? We never have dessert! Yay! But they chose cupcakes, not quite sure about that yellowish funny-shaped thing. It looked just too weird. And it hit me, they had never had Twinkies before! They're 7 and 5, and Twinkies just didn't figure into their existence. So, I ask you - Best Mom Ever, for never introducing my children to the Evil Hostess Empire? Or, Worst Mom Ever, since my kids are clearly Twinkie-deprived? either way, more Twinkies for me.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tammy and Parker said...

You may have unwittingly done yourself a great favor here. In my house it seems that just as soon as I bring something in....did I say bring?.....it is actually more like TRUCK things in with my kids...it disappears. So I have resorted to buying at least one thing that every one hates. That way I can leave it in the cupboard without fear of it disappearing seconds later.

So if your kids continue with their Twinkie trend you will at least have one item that you know will always be there for you when the midnight munchies strike.

And trust me, the older your kids get, the more important this will be. =)

6/01/2006 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Twinkies are vile.

6/01/2006 12:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Mathew said...

I had my first twinkie after a little league baseball game. I had seen them on TV and in other kids' lunch boxes but my mother wasn't the type to buy twinkies. Boy was I disappointed--it tasted like it wasn't made from anything natural. Haven't had one since.

6/01/2006 01:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Mary said...

Now I want Twinkies!! Oh, and cupcakes too!! Maybe, like you, I'm really suceptable to advertising too. Hmm... perhaps that's contributing to my puffy faced-ness referenced in my comment on Heather's post.

That's so cool that your DH actually picked up the treats for you, mine would just laugh and tease me about it and then suggest making a treat at home instead...grrr.

6/01/2006 01:19:00 PM  
Anonymous jbn said...

I watched that episode last night too! I loved how she put the twinkies on the plate. Why aren't those girls 200 pounds? They eat pop tarts, twinkies, vanilla wafers, pizza, chinese food, and on movie nite as much junk food as they can find. At Luke's it's all about the pancakes or the muffin or the donut. I guess it's all the coffee drinking that offsets the sugar. Ah, to live in movieland!

And Twinkies are not vile. Way to act on the Gilmore spontanaety!

6/01/2006 02:07:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie J said...

Twinkies are nasty. I vote best mom ever. I hope never to give a Twinkie to my daughter. I shudder at the thought of eating one.

6/01/2006 03:57:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Twinkies are delicious. I wouldn't eat them every day, and of course they do not resemble actual, real food in any way, but instead are testaments to humankind's inventiveness. Like Cheetos. Yummy.

I vote Best Mom Ever, though. Because your kids are probably used to your wonderful homemade treats. And because you must be shopping for mostly healthy stuff. Way to go.

6/01/2006 05:04:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Best mom ever! Easy!

I think I was 22 when I had my first twinkie- and I agree- they are vile! However, I would have gladly traded my entire lunch of homemade bread and granola and fruit leather in thrid grade for one single twinkie. Ah, the lure of the forbidden... Never really changes, does it?

6/01/2006 05:09:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Let me reiterate. Twinkies are VILE. And almost certainly carcinogenic. And probably could survive a nuclear holocaust, you know, along with Cher and cockroaches.

6/01/2006 05:53:00 PM  
Blogger Laura W said...

i vote for best mom ever. i really don't like twinkies, but everyone should try them at least once- they are part of being a kid!

they now have a whole twinkie cookbook for those who are nostalgic for thier twinkie eating days: twinkie cookbook

6/01/2006 06:12:00 PM  
Blogger Kage said...

Best for not exposing them, worst, for not exposing them.

The other day after Oprah had a segment on the Dove Bar factory, guess what I could not stop thinking about?

So DH walked down the block to our grocery store and brought me back a 4-pack of dove milke chocolate ice cream bars....better than a twinkie, better get on introducing that to your kids. Maybe I will go get some twinkies and see what my kids do. Ever heard of deep-fried twinkies? Scary.

6/01/2006 09:18:00 PM  
Blogger sue said...

I love twinkies. So do my kids. But they don't love nuts. So whenever I get ice cream I get one with nuts and one without. Then when the kids say can I have some of your ice cream(because mocha almond crunch sticks around alot longer than chocolate) I say sure----but it has nuts. It's great, I don't have to say no,and I get to keep my ice cream.

6/01/2006 11:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home