5/24/2006

Speaking of Mamaries, The Final Chapter

By now, you all are probably so done with my musings on the finer points (ha!) of mamaries. This is it, I promise! I've pontificated on the medical healing of breast reduction surgery, the special level of torture that is pumping everything your baby eats, and my own grief at not being able to nurse. But I have something to add, something I never thought I would say; I have a baby that is nursing. When I last posted a Mammary, I was in the throes of grief, and had all but thrown in the proverbial towel. I had bound myself and started giving my baby formula. Doing as the lactation nurse suggested, my milk supply was all but annihilated, but I just couldn't bring myself to completely stop. So I was pumping a bottle or two for her each day- just enough that my milk wasn't gone, and just enough that I was hopeful she was getting some good from it. Then, one day as I was pumping and she was rooting and definitely hungry, I thought, "Hey, maybe..?". Well, it never worked with the boys, but the thought was tempting (inspired?) nonetheless... Especially since she had been so eager at first. So I picked her up and gave it a shot. Well, guess what? It seems The Voracious One has done what over 1000 hours on a breast pump could not do. Yes, my little Hoover has managed to latch on, correctly, and for the first time in my life, I have a baby that is getting her milk directly from my body. Miracles...They really do happen. Granted it's a small miracle in the Grand Scheme, but it's my miracle, and I will take it and shout Hossanah! Is it because I made such a big deal about not being able to nurse, and I needed to be shown who was really The Boss? Could be. Is it because I had the faith to try even when I knew it was "unlikely"? Maybe. Is it because this a different baby and she has a much stronger urge to suck, a hungry tummy and a patient personality? Possibly. Perhaps it is because of the reduction surgery making everything a more "manageable" size? Probably. I think it's likely a fair mixture of all these things. Either way, I'm ready to publicly have a big ole slice of Humble Pie, to eat some Crow and have a side of My Hat. Bring it on! I'm hungry! Never in my life have I been so completely overjoyed to be Wrong!

16 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Awesome, Tracy! Congrats!

5/24/2006 03:02:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

How????????

Amazing. Just amazing.

5/24/2006 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger Allanna said...

YAY!!!!!!

Wow, I'm about to start crying.

But I'm so superhappy that it finally worked out!!

5/24/2006 04:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Mary said...

I'm so glad for you since you so desperately wanted this! What great news!

5/24/2006 05:14:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Wiz- I don't know how! I still have all the same problems I had with the boys (ie: cat. 3 inversion) but I think the surgery did something (What? I have no idea) and she is willing to really work for it- and she's getting it somehow, because if I pump after she's done, I'm empty. Beyond that, anyone's guess is as good as mine.

I guess it's a lesson in not giving up hope?

5/24/2006 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

That is awesome. Tears are filling the eyes as we speak...

What a wonderful feeling and what a great relief! I'm really happy for you... :)

5/24/2006 06:50:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Go Momma!

5/24/2006 07:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Proud Daughter of Eve said...

Huzzah and congratulations!

5/24/2006 07:31:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

That's really wonderful to hear Tracy. I'm so happy for you.

5/24/2006 08:25:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

Oh Tracy,

I am so glad for you. Really really special, and what a special miracle for you it is!

I love that you called it your miracle, and in the grand scheme of things, it is still pretty darn big!

I love it, LOVE it, when people celebrate the real things.

5/25/2006 12:49:00 AM  
Blogger Jamie J said...

Wow that's fantasic! I'm actually tearing up! Congratulations!!

5/25/2006 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

woohoo! congrats! That's wonderful, I'm so happy for you!

5/25/2006 04:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Sara R said...

I'm so happy for you, Tracy! I had nursing problems with my first child (she just refused it) that ultimately worked out after 2 weeks with a lactation consultant and an afternoon and evening of baby tough love (as directed by the LC). I was so thrilled that it finally worked out! I'm glad it did for you too.

5/25/2006 07:38:00 PM  
Anonymous claire said...

What a wonderful ending to this saga.

5/26/2006 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger a spectator said...

I'm very happt for both of you.

5/28/2006 10:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that gives me chills! I am so happy for you!

Pam

5/31/2006 11:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home