5/08/2006

One of My Least Favorite Transitions...

As a mother, you watch your children transition often. From lying still to sitting. Sitting to standing. Crawling to walking. From babbling sweet nothings to shrieking "No!" and "Mine!" Such fun. I'm sure as my kids get older, I'll like some of them less (like from sweet person to evil teenager), but most of the time it's pretty cool to watch your kids grow and learn new things. But there is one transition I'm facing again right now, and it's one I really don't like. It's from crib to bed. My youngest has finally started climbing out of his crib. It's taken him a long time - he is two and a half, and both my girls were out of cribs at that point. But he didn't have another baby coming along to kick him out, and he really LIKES his bed. He won't sleep anywhere else. But for the past few days, at 7:45 sharp, he's walked into our room to wish us "good morning." and while I am always pleased to see him, I remember fondly the good old days, last week, when he would just wake up and play in his bed, maybe go back to sleep, and not really insist that he be taken out of there until 9:00. It was nice. I could deal with my first grader in the morning just by herself. It was fun to just be me and her until she leaves for school. Those days are over. Plus, I really dread the big bed thing, not just because the mornings become earlier and more hectic, but bedtime becomes such a hassle. I used to be able to say "Good Night", hand him his blankets, put him in his crib, and I was free of him of for the next 12 hours. I know from experience that as soon as a regular bed is placed in his room, the pleas for "one more story", "I need a drink of water" and "can I sleep in your bed" will begin. And bedtime will go from a 30 second thing to a 30 minute ritual, with several episodes of him getting out and me putting him back in. Sigh.... Is there a magic bullet that will keep him in his big bed once he's there? So far, he's just getting out of his crib in the mornings and staying in at night, so the crib is still intact, but I'm pretty sure I ony have a few more days (maybe a week if I'm lucky!) of this bliss. Dooooommmmm.......Dooooommmmm......

10 Comments:

Anonymous mimi said...

My sister just younger than me was kicked out of the crib at age 2 by baby #3. It took her about 6 mo. to figure out she could actually get out of the new bed by herself. She would sit on her "big girl bed" and yell for my mom until Mom came and got her "out" of bed. I suppose it never occured to her that it was the bars keeping her in. We still tease her about that 30 years later.

5/08/2006 01:49:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Rope? Duct tape? Ok, mostly kidding. Having just gone through this with my 2 1/2 year old, I wish I had some sage words of advice, but I can only comiserate.

Oh, the days of the 30 second bedtime! We couldn't keep him in his big boy bed, and after 10-12 times of him getting up at bedtime, we finally resorted to "torture". I got some of those door-knob covers that keep little kids from opening the door, and put them on the inside of his room. He hated them, and calls them Door Traps, but if he gets up too many times, I tell him I will put the Door Trap on- he hates them so much, that's all it took. Now, we are finally back to easy bedtime, and once in bed, down for all night. I do keep a Door Trap on the dresser as a reminder- am I evil mom??

5/08/2006 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger Trivial Mom said...

I think not being able to open the door is the key to keeping them in bed. My googie is 19 months and hasn't figure out how to open the doors, so we don't need 'door traps' . . . yet.

5/08/2006 03:54:00 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

I hate to play "you think you've got it bad," but I'd love to have kids that sleep until 7:45 a.m. Around here, the little sunshines are up at 6:15, rain or shine.

5/08/2006 03:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Mary said...

I'm not looking forward to this transition! Our dd is only 18 months, but we are having another baby in June. I think we'll try to keep dd in her crib for a few months after the baby is born (have the baby in the pack n' play), so that she is closer to 2 when she makes the transition to the big bed. She just sleeps so well and goes down so easily now, I would hate to have that change! Also, her bedroom door doesn't latch properly, so she can open it just by wedging her fingers in between the door and the jamb and open it, so I can imagine the escapes she could make! Yikes!

5/08/2006 07:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Nicki said...

I have a friend that just turns the crib over. ;)

5/08/2006 09:33:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

#1 and #2 transitioned to the bed so easily --I felt really lucky. But #3 is going to be another story. He is the youngest, a boy (I seriously think this will have something to do with it), and once again, is the youngest. Now I'm a little nervous reading this post for that next step...good advice, though, about the door thing. I'll have to remember that one!

5/09/2006 12:02:00 AM  
Anonymous JKS said...

I just did the bed transition with my 2 year old. She would keep getting out of bed. I put a gate up at the door of her room.
I now keep the gate handy, so if she does get out, I put the gate up for a while so she knows she can't leave.
It hasn't been too bad. But if you know of a way to stop the NOOOOOO!s let me know because I'm going crazy.

5/09/2006 06:24:00 PM  
Blogger Lacey said...

Get your kids tired! With my 2 year old.. soon to be 3... if she's tired she gets up and goes potty...like twice... and sometimes she doesn't really go...that's always her excuse.
If she's tuckered out because she was chasing daddy for the last 20 minutes before bed, or she didn't take too late of an afternoon nap, then she stays in bed because she's asleep!!
I've learned a schedule of getting up early, around 7, that's when hubby has to get his shower and I take over as the parent. Have her take an early nap at about 1, 2 at the latest (She's usually tired because she's been up since 6:30!)
She wakes from her nap between 4 and 5 and we put her in bed around 9 :30. I know it's a late bed time, but why not let them enjoy their time awake and possibly give more time to Dad if they're just going to be getting up every five minutes anyways.

5/10/2006 01:55:00 PM  
Blogger Tigersue said...

I'm with you on this one. We just moved our 2 year old to a bed a month ago so we could get the 6 month old in the crib. She is up early, between 6 and 7. I am not a morning person. It complicates getting the two girls fed in the morning. It does put a whole new spin on things.

5/11/2006 01:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home