4/16/2006

Happy Easter!

Did you know that if you go shopping at 7:00 p.m. the night before Easter, every grocery store, every big-box store, anyplace you go really, will have absolutely NO plastic eggs left? The same goes for egg coloring stuff. Thank goodness we had bought some egg dye earlier, and I thought I had plastic eggs from last year, but when I went to go get them and fill them, they were gone. I guess it's sort of symbolic of Easter, in a faintly sacriligeous way. I was seeking something that wasn't there. So I headed out to get plastic eggs and more dye, because my kids LOVE coloring eggs, so we color way more than we ever eat, and discovered the hell that is the procrastinator's life. The Easter aisle in the grocery store looked like everyone needed supplies for an upcoming hurricane or something - I mean, just BLANK, with some peanut butter eggs strewn about. It was just so sad. It looked like elephants had trampled through it. There were a lot of people just staring at it, as if staring would make the bunnies, eggs, and candy materialize. The box store (OK, it was Wal-Mart) didn't even HAVE an Easter diaplay anymore, everything was gone, so in place of bunnies and candy, they had coolers and hoses. It was like it was Monday already. I started to panic - what if we had no plastic eggs at Easter? What kind of "bad-Mommy" points would I get for that? Plus, I had chocolate in the house, but no jelly beans! I am not a fan of jelly beans per se, but they are an Easter staple! What would we do without them? Well, guess what? The chocolate was more than sufficient, searching for real eggs is just as much fun as searching for plastic eggs, and the lack of jelly beans doesn't seem to be scarring anybody for life. Of course, you never know..... Also, on a fun note, I watched my daughter give a talk in Primary today. She talked about the resurrection, and told everyone that that's why we celebrate Easter. While she was talking, I saw a boy in her class turn to their Primary teacher. "Is that true?" She shared some precious knowledge on this happy, holy day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thoroughly Mormon Millie said...

LOL... how darling - and kind of sad. "Is that true?"

We bought our Easter ham at exactly 10:15 PM last night, and it's currently baking in the oven. This, after the stake roadshow performance our oldest performed in, and a disagreement at Wal-Mart about whether to buy the "what animal did this come from?" ham or the spiral-cut. Other than that, the hams were pretty well cleaned out.

The Easter stuff was still there, though. WinCo (the warehouse grocery store in our area) still had plastic eggs and even jelly beans. We ended up with the spiral-cut - it was cheap at WinCo.

Guess you're doing your procrastinator shopping in the wrong state. :)

4/16/2006 06:31:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Our Easter stuff was still totally there yesterday. You are definitely trying to shop for stuff in the wrong state.

4/16/2006 09:32:00 PM  
Blogger Mo Mommy said...

I couldn't tell you how it is here. I didn't buy plastic eggs or easter candy this year. We never have. We don't do baskets either. I did buy egg dye this year, just because it was in a set of stickers to make your eggs look like fire trucks and police cars and stuff. Ds thought they were the coolest. So this morning we dyed the 5 eggs we had in the house and made them into cars.
If you ask my almost 4 year old what Easter is about, he'll tell you "the decoration of Christ", since he can't quite get "resurrection" down yet. Funny, but endearing.
And no, I don't regret skipping baskets and bunnies, he gets enough of that at school and the store.
Btw, get yourself invited to someone else's house for Easter dinner, it's SO much easier that way!! ;)

4/17/2006 01:08:00 AM  
Blogger Suzie Petunia said...

Little good my jelly bean-filled-plastic-egg efforts were this year... My youngest got the stomach flu and didn't eat ANYTHING all day!

4/17/2006 02:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home