4/09/2006

Airport Story

I know, you're all going "great, another story about how hard it is to travel with kids. We've already heard it!" Well, see, you're wrong, because I've pretty much given up travel in order to save my sanity, and so I am reduced to telling stories about my sister. My sister was recently on vacation. She had a fabulous time, and saw Broadway shows that I'm dying to see, but it's fairly difficult seeing as how I've given up travel. Anyway, she apparently didn't get much sleep, and our family does not function well without our sleep. She was in the airport, waiting in line to check her bags and such and use of those nifty self-check-in kiosks. Unfortunately, there was a gentleman in front of her who was not moving. There were two open kiosks, and he wasn't going near them, causing a huge back up in the line behind him. My sister was less than pleased. "Hey, there are two open kiosks! Can we move on, please?" People started ducking under the lines to use the kiosks, and there was general confusion and mayhem, as is typical of an airport. When my sister and her husband got to where the gentleman was, they asked if he was going to use one of the kiosks. He responded in heavily accented English. "No, I do not use computers. My secretary uses...I just get confused - computers not good for me." "Well, do you mind if we go ahead?" "No, of course, you go. " (gestures to the machines) When the airline attendant came by to check their bags, my sister gestured to this gentleman. "No, he is before us." (I think she mostly wanted to get him out of the line so that order, or what passes for it, would again reign in the airport). But she wants to emphasize that she was nice to him once she got up to him. So the airline attendant helped him, and got him checked in - he didn't have a bag or anything - just needed a boarding pass, not really a reason to stand in the huge line, but hey, if you're not familiar with the kiosks, or don't travel all that much, then the line is a good option. The airline attendant then came up to check my sister's bags. "Do you know who that was?" "No." "That was Placido Domingo!" My husband thinks that it was a joke the airline attendant was playing - that she just tells people randomly that men that speak with accents are famous tenors. Maybe Pavarotti will come through her line later in the day. As for me, I choose to believe that it was Placido Domingo. My sister says nobody would have recognized him, because he wasn't in a tux in a spotlight, and he was shorter than you would think. Ah, brushes with greatness..

11 Comments:

Blogger Ana said...

Cool!

Once I saw Prince in the Salt Lake airport. Only then he was the unpronounceable symbol. I looked up and there he was, a little man in a white suit and big sunglasses, gliding by on one of those airport golf carts.

Of course, dork that I am, I had to yell, "That's PRINCE!" But only because I couldn't pronounce the symbol.

4/10/2006 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

I met Rulon Gardner in the airport last year. He's very nice and shy.

This isn't an airport, but my husband has met two stars. He's a car salesman and one time he went to work and Kate oh, crap, I forgot her last name. That girl in Charley's Angels who had a house in Park City. Anyway, she was walking all over the dealership, angry because her car had broken down.

He asked (he's a doofus), "you look familiar? Do I know you?"

She was very rude to him and he just walked off. Finally it came to him and he walked up and said, "I know who you are, you're Jacqlyn Smith." She was very insulted.

Also, one time he came back from lunch and Robert Urich was in his office admiring his deer mount and his fish mounts. He said Mr. Urich was very cordial and they chatted awhile while the mechanic fixed his car.

Back to your story, Wiz, no matter who that guy was, your sister did the right thing being kind. It's so hard to do when one is tired. Been there.

4/10/2006 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Laura W said...

I used to work for Placido Domingo. I can totally picture that scenario happening with him- he's amazingly nice, gracious, etc, but he's also used to having others take care of the details for him...

4/10/2006 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

I once saw Donny Osmond in a Houston airport. Unfortunately I was about 30 at the time, instead of a prepubescent, when it would have really caused my heart to flutter.

4/10/2006 04:15:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Hey--Saw Marie Osmond at Costco without make-up on. It made my day to think that she was just a mom out doing her errands...

4/10/2006 04:37:00 PM  
Blogger Thoroughly Mormon Millie said...

Hubby works Trailblazer games' security sometimes and once, when the LA Lakers were there, who should be in the audience but Jack Nicholson! Hubby was assigned to "secure" him all evening. At the end of the game, Jack's man gave Hubby a $40 tip, which we then framed.

Just kidding - we spent it on groceries.

He has quite a few celebrity stories. He got THIS CLOSE to Eva Longoria at another Blazer game last month when the Spurs were here - isn't that the team her boyfriend plays on? He says Eva is really short.

I've been backstage twice at Weird Al concerts, and it's embarrassing - I always get a bad case of the STARES. But Al is very sweet.

4/10/2006 08:28:00 PM  
Blogger a spectator said...

One evening in Orem I saw Donny Osmond shopping at Albertsons--he and a son were picking out discount cereal (the kind in a bag).

4/11/2006 12:51:00 AM  
Blogger Mo Mommy said...

My bishop in Alaska was Steve Young.
Okay, not THE Steve Young, but it sounds good, yeah?
The closest I've ever gotten to a celebrity was when I saw Jewel perform in a little place in AK. It was before she got famous though.
BTW spectator,
my son loves the bagged cereal. It's the only kind that has fruit loops WITH marshmallows in it

4/11/2006 11:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Mathew said...

Two weeks ago George Clooney was shooting a movie in my wife's office. He was there all week--she ran into him a couple times. During the shoot she also rode up the elevator with Sydney Pollack, which I think is much cooler than brushing past George Clooney, but she doesn't share my opinion.

4/11/2006 04:09:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I saw Kristi Yamaguchi eating french fries at an airport once. I thought, "Hey, even Olympic athletes like MacDonalds!". I also saw Martin Short at a train station once, and I literally stopped and stared. He gave me a nasty look, so I hastily looked the other way. Weird.

4/11/2006 04:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

The real Steve Young almost stepped on me at the 4th of July parade in Provo. We were sitting right next to his family and he was trying to help his kids who were next to us on the curb. I also saw Elizabeth Taylor when I was in Egypt-she seemed a little annoyed to be recognized by 4 bus loads of BYU students. But, she did smile and pose for pictures.

4/11/2006 04:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home