3/01/2006

The Sun in the Morning and the Moon at Night

I woke up today in a great mood. I have no idea why - I don't remember any really great dreams or anything, I just woke up with the sun hitting my face which usually makes me angry at my east facing window and I swear to get darker window coverings. But today, I was like "Hooray! The Sun!" and it hit me that today was March 1, and that the horrible January and February months are officially over! Celebrate good times, come on! I have nothing official to celebrate. After all, I have a scar on my neck that looks like a botched suicide attempt. I have 4 doctor's appointments in the next two weeks. I have fevery children who are prone to diarrhea and vomiting. My house looks like a tornado hit it, despite my cleaning lady coming on Monday and all the emails in the world from Flylady don't seem to be helping. But I keep hoping that they will help me change my ways - so I keep them. BUT, it's March 1! Yay for Spring coming soon! I can almost see the day my car is not filled with coats, and sandals can be thrown on, and the frantic search before we leave is for the other flip flop instead of the other snow boot. Socks disappear in this house, I have an ongoing theory that the house eats them in order to survive, and soon socks will be optional! I have some forced tulips on my counter (thank you Costco) and they are starting to appear today. I love having flowers in my house - and these are white tulips, which I love, and I love looking at them when I do my dishes. They make me smile - it's like a little present every day, coming downstairs each day to see how much taller they've gotten, and to see if they've begun to peek out. It's especially fun because even though I like plants, I have a tendency to kill them, and these take no talent whatsoever. Just stick them in the window and watch them grow! They make me look so talented, which is ALMOST the same thing as actually being talented. (after all, according to Galinda in Wicked - "it's not about aptitude, it's the way you're viewed..") Can you feel the joy? Let me share it with you: I have two working arms! I have eyseight! I have a scar on my neck! I have an extremely messy counter, but if you look closely, you can see the flowers! I have friends! I have GREAT kids! I have Motrin to give those great kids! I have bowls to catch the vomit of said children! I have a washing machine to wash the sheets of vomiting children! I have a fun dog! I have a vacuum to clean up the dog hair! I have Nickelodeon and PBS to raise my children for me! I have Gilmore Girls on Tuesday nights! I have an explanation point on my keyboard! So, peace and joy to you on this day of celebration - I hope you catch my mood. And if you're in a bad mood today, which is certainly your right, then I'm glad you can't hit me.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Téa said...

March has come in like an exclamation point!!!!

Will go out with a question mark? Perhaps a period. Or ellipsis...

Catching your mood, (and maybe some catch-up on Flylady myself) now I'm off for some jubiliant exclamations!!

3/01/2006 04:15:00 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I have a personal tradition of writing a long, cathartic journal entry at the end of February, describing the struggles of the month. I then go back and reread my previous entries, lovingly titled: "It's not me, it's February. Repeat. It's not me, it's February."

Most winters I dream of moving South, but I don't know if I could give up the wildly irrational joy that comes from seeing the first crocus.

3/01/2006 04:26:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Deborah-

Don't move South. Didn't you read what I wrote about the cockroaches? Crocuses are so much better!

"Got no diamonds, got no pearls...." Thanks, now I'll be singing that song all day. Where's it from again? All I can hear is Doris Day's voice in my head, but I can't picture what's she's doing. Yes, Doris Day's disembodied head and voice are ringing through my brain--AAH! AAH! AHH!

3/01/2006 04:49:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

It's from "Annie Get Your Gun." I have no idea if Doris Day ever sung it or not.

Heh Heh, glad I could get a song stuck in your head.....

I need to use an exclamation point now!

3/01/2006 06:05:00 PM  
Blogger Lei said...

I felt it, too, but promptly forgot as the craziness of the day began weighing on me. Thanks for the reminder, now I've got a second wind!

3/01/2006 06:38:00 PM  
Blogger Thoroughly Mormon Millie said...

I laughed when you mentioned FlyLady - I just unsubscribed from her emails this very day. Love her; trying to read every single email from her was keeping my butt glued to the computer chair. Just last week it hit me that reading about housework isn't enough, you actually have to DO it. Hope the kids are vomit-free soon.

Natalie

3/01/2006 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

YAY! My tulips from Costco bloomed fully today, too! They are the pink/yellow ones...

..Thanks for the post. I LOVE spring. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT and I'm so glad it's around the corner.. :)

(P.S. Gilmore Girls rock!)

3/02/2006 01:05:00 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

Lovely Post, hon! Very Russian writer of you, with the exclamation points.

I had a big bruise on my neck from a biopsy (benign) on a lump the first week or so I was working at Wal-Mart. I didn't pay much attention to it at first then realized it looked just like a hickey.

I wanted to tell every customer, "It's not a hickey." Then I decided to just let them think my husband was an animal.

3/02/2006 10:02:00 AM  
Blogger marian said...

I WISH I could celebrate March as the beginning of spring, but here in VT spring doesn't really poke its head out until sometime in April. So March is about as tough as February in some cases. BUT, I appreciated your optimism and cheer all the same.

I'm a Gilmore Girls addict as well. The wit of it has helped me get over my Buffy mourning.

3/02/2006 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

MARIAN! You're a Buffy fan, too? I LOVE Buffy, and I can't even find it in syndication anymore. Any ideas about where she might be these days, or is she gone forever? So nice to find a fellow slayer lover!

3/02/2006 06:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home