3/09/2006

Prescribed by Dr. Mom

Let me start out by saying that I am not a doctor. I am not a nurse. I don't even play one on T.V. But there are a few cures that I have come across as a mother, that have worked wonders in our household. And so, I would like to share them, in the hopes that possibly they could work for you. As has been mentioned previously, my little girl suffers from some of the worst excema I have ever seen. We are talking all over - trunk, legs, arms, elbows, etc. We have tried it all, steroid creams, (work temporarily), oatmeal lotion, baby oil, expensive lotion only available at professional stores, all to no avail. But then someone mentioned this anti-bacterial foam, (her husband sells it to dermatologists) and let me tell you, the stuff is magic. Not only does it kill germs for hours, but either the antibacterial element or the moisturizers in it, (it is alcohol-free), or the combination really helps the excema go away, and helps it stay away. Plus, you can put it on as many times a day as you want, and not have to worry about the steroid cream entering her bloodstream through her skin. So, my cure for excema - Pureworks Antibacterial Foam Also, and this is crucial, whenever she gets remotely dehydrated, the skin issues appear. So we give her water a lot, and her skin glows. This combination has brought so much peace into our house, I can't even tell you. Her excema is either gone completely, or else really minor. (Also, keeping her in 100% cotton seems to help, but I am not really diligent about that. However, she does sleep in cotton sheets and quilts.) This product does not claim to cure excema. It claims to kill germs and moisturize the skin. The person who sold it to me just mentioned that some of the doctors he sold it to were having patients report to them that it was helping their excema, and I was willing to try anything, although Sweetpea was so tired of different lotions on her skin, she was apprehensive, until she saw that it was "bubbles" instead of lotion. I have some in my 72 hour kit, it makes such a difference to us. And I don't think I even have a flashlight in that kit yet. But I am not living without this foam ever again. Toothpaste removes permanent marker from walls. Really. I have suffered from canker sores for as long as I can remember. I have had nickel sized sores in my mouth. I have been unable to talk. I have had multiple sores. Tongue, cheek, throat, uvula, you name it, I've had a canker sore there. (we are talking inside the mouth, not cold sores outside the mouth) Again, I have tried it all - aspirin, salt (whoever came up with that one should be shot on principle), vitamin e, switching toothpastes, otc painkillers for the mouth, all to no avail. Until again, someone mentioned to me what her doctor had told her seemed to help some of his patients, and it had worked for her. My cure for canker sores: acidopholus - the bacteria in yogurt. Eat yogurt every day, or you can buy acidopholus in capsule form, and your canker sore days are behind you forever. Something about the bacteria counteracts the bacteria that causes canker sores, and voila! Your mouth is pain-free. If you already have a canker sore, acidopholus will help it heal faster, but it will not make it go away initially, or help with the pain. (keep in mind this is my experience only!) A prescription for Kenalog in Orabase from your doctor or dentist is the only topical treatment that actually helps. So get a prescription for that, and start eating yogurt. Nothing takes permanent marker out of carpet. Sorry. I get sick every time I get on an airplane. Long car rides do me in. I am a motion sickness baby. And then - an anesthesiologist gave me this stuff before a minor surgery, and told me to take it an hour before plain rides. It so helped when I was nauseous later. Kicked the nausea immediately. So I am now a fan of Meclizine I do not know how, or if, it would help with pregnancy nausea. Probably not, but it's great for motion sickness, and it's non-drowsy. I am also a huge fan of drinking tons of water. It helps with just about everything. So, there you have it: Meclizine, pureworks foam, and acidopholus. Three things that have changed my life. Oh, and butt paste really is the best for diaper rash.

22 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

I've tried meclizine for morning sickness, and it didn't work for me. It helped my sister with hers, though.

My daughters have pretty bad eczema outbreaks, too, and the Elidel we've been using only seems to help a little. I'll definitely give the foam a try. Thanks!

3/09/2006 04:58:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth-W said...

Thanks for the antibacterial foam note--We've done all the treatments. And, as allison said, we've done the Elidel, and now my Dr says they think it's not too safe so they moved my daughter to Locoid. So, to have an option that isn't going to make her photosensitive, etc. is nice. We only bathe our daughter twice a week and that seems to have helped, too--she's too young to be too stinky yet :)

3/09/2006 05:35:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Us to, with the Elidel. Kind works, but not really. I clicked on the foam link, and it didn't work...

Any suggestions where I can pick it up?

Oh, and we only do baths 2x a week too- it helps, but sometimes I feel like a bad mom- my boys get so messy, and a spongebath only gets so much!

3/09/2006 06:39:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I've heard some doctors recommend daily or twice-daily baths followed by tons of greasy eucerin cream, and others recommend once or twice a week max. It's annoying how many things that are complete opposites get recommended depending on who you talk to.

My oldest daughter's worst problems are on her hands, though -- so bad she'll get big raw scabs sometimes on her knuckles. And you can't only wash the hands twice a week, especially during flu season and with her in school (germ factory). I'm really, really hoping the antibacterial foam works, because that sounds ideal for her hands.

3/09/2006 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Sorry, I am link challenged. I will try to fix it. The website for the foam is www.protectedbypureworks.com

I really hope it helps.

3/09/2006 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Ok, the links should work now. I will get this whole "internet" thing down someday.

3/09/2006 08:33:00 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

I have never heard about that for eczema! The thing that has helped with that for my 4 year old is Aveeno lotion applied on WET skin (no towelling off first). Elidel was miserable; it burned. Same with Eucerin. But the Aveeno was recommended by a PA in our pediatrician's office who suffers from eczema herself, and it has worked wonders! I'm glad to know about the antibacterial foam, also ... in case the Aveeno ever stops working!

3/10/2006 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Ahh, 2 baths a week is nothin'.

Every once in a while I will realize that it's been a week since I bathed any of my children. And it's embarrassing how often that "once in a while" really happens!

Thank you for the advice on the foam. #2's eczema is mild, but lately it's been getting worse. Hopefully the foam will curb it...

3/10/2006 12:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Sara R said...

My baby girl's eczema was all food allergy related. I was nursing her, and went off all dairy for unrelated reasons. Her skin looked a lot better! It still wasn't 100%, so I thought maybe the dairy didn't have any effect, so I talked myself into ice cream one night. Her skin flared dramatically. So we checked out food allergies. Turns out she was allergic to milk, eggs, nuts, and wheat. Thank heaven she outgrew the wheat allergy! We can still tell if she eats something she's allergic to because she gets a rash around her mouth. Otherwise her skin looks beautiful with no special treatment.

3/10/2006 11:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hairspray also removes permanent marker.

3/10/2006 02:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

Here is a hint I just discovered last night. If you are cooking with fresh herbs and want to mince them up really fine, roll them up and put them through your garlic press. Do the same with ginger, jalapeno peppers, or small chunks of onion (those I've been doing for a while now, but last night was a first for cilantro!)

3/10/2006 03:31:00 PM  
Anonymous jamisue said...

Sorry to hear the Amino Genesis didn't work for Em, but glad to hear you found something! We're still Amino fans, works like a champ on Sissy's skin problem.

3/10/2006 07:13:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

I got so sick with my second child I had to be hospitalized. I weighed 2 pounds less when I was 9 months pregnant than when I started.

I used Dramamine to keep me on my feet when I was pregnant with Sarah because I had three other kids and no way was I going to the hospital. It worked okay, not perfect, but okay.

Sarah had over 50, yes, 50, canker sores in her mouth when we in New York. She was so sick and in pain. It was terrible, you guys. The only thing that helped is when we came home and the doctor gave her a wash with mylanta and benadryl. I wish I'd been the one to be that sick. It makes me feel terrible still. She was in so much pain they gave her IV pain meds and that only took the edge off.

I always used desitin for my kids butts. I just put it on all the time and changed them constantly and they never had diaper rash.

3/13/2006 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

I've had that rinse with Bendaryl and mylanta. It's Ok, but it is not tasty, or fun to do. Hope her canker days are behind her. She must have had a pretty bad virus to get that sick.

3/13/2006 12:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Heidi M said...

For Pregnancy-related nausea - Take 1 vitamin B6 pill and one half of a Unisom tablet (the whole one will knock you out all day). We also love Boudreaux's Butt Paste for diaper rash (lots of other rashes too, dry skin, etc.) Also, I know somebody who tried the Windex trick from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and they said it actually worked. Who knows?

3/14/2006 02:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Heidi M said...

P. S. They used the Windex on a bug bite or something, NOT diaper rash.

3/14/2006 02:49:00 PM  
Blogger nestle said...

Ahhh remedies.

Mint will help all head colds and stomach aches.

For little babies and toddlers instead of giving them sudafed if I can help it I'll have them suck down one of the pepermint candy canes in stock. Clears up the head/sinuses lickety split

Mint leave chewed up/not swallowed will also ease an upset stomach.

Cancer sores- dried thyme on sore. this will heal the sore in a few hours!!! LOVE it!!

I'm convinced Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser will get ANYTHING off walls.

Phsoriasis- selson blue on any part of the body left for 20 minutes.

Fevers- warm baths, not cool ones. The kids will actually stay in the water and it will still cool down the kids because the temp is cooler than the kid with fever.

Bee stings- tobacco. You spit on the tobacco and apply topically to the wound. This takes away the sting (yes, I grew up in the south where tobacco was everpresent...and it really works :-) I had a bee sting and someone picked up a cigarette but took out the tobacco, spit and applied. Almost instant relief :-)

Ant/ jelly fish bites: meat tenderizer.

I'm kind of accident prone... um yeah.

3/14/2006 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Nestle-

Wow, great to know all that mint growing in our garden can be useful. Does mint tea do anything fantastic?

3/16/2006 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger nestle said...

I have no idea. hee hee I've just chewed it. My sister gave me a cookbook of recipes and there was some stuff at the back of it that had homegrown remidies. I had just moved to a new area and was desperate for half the stuff because I couldn't find a grocery store but the other stuff had kinda traveled with me (don't ask). Anywhoo it's interesting how things come into our knowledge.

3/16/2006 04:18:00 PM  
Blogger nestle said...

ouch! I just checked my spelling/typos/usage of words after I posted, again ouch!! on both posts!

3/16/2006 04:20:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Me said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/10/2006 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Mr. Me said...

Unrelated to remedies...
When I was trying on wedding rings I managed to get one on my finger that wouldn't come off - the helpful sales person squirted a bit of windex (or maybe just generic glass cleaner) on my finger and it slid off with minimal effort.

Hope this helps someone!
~ Mr. Me ~

8/10/2006 11:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home