3/28/2006

Food for Thought

Guest post from our favorite Mommy-lawyer, jamisue. Recently I've been doing a lot of historical research due to a pending legal case I have which involves the history of roads in my jurisdiction. I know, it sounds as exciting as watching paint dry. In reality, not only has it been an interesting foray into Mormon pioneer history and settlement in the area, but in reading the mounds of historical documents, I've discovered a lot about my own ancestors, both good and bad. Who knew? In doing the reading, however, I found myself saying quite frequently "thank you dear Lord for not making me be a pioneer!" I don't have the constitutional fortitude to have been a pioneer. Not that I'm completely prissy (far from it) I just don't think I could have handled the day-to-day trials given to those dear women. For that reason, I made my own top ten list of reasons why I'm grateful I wasn't sent to this earth 150 years ago. I'm sure you all have your own reasons, or maybe you think you would have been better off 150 years ago, but as for me, this list says it all. 1. Indoor plumbing (need I say more?) 2. Tampons. 3. Drugs. Not the street variety, but the plethora of really good stuff that makes life so much better, like epidurals, antibiotics and Motrin. 4. Voting. While Wyoming gave women the right to vote in 1864 and other Western states, including Utah granted suffrage a few years later, women's suffrage didn’t really take hold until the 19th amendment in 1920. This was definitely an improvement and one for which I am very grateful. 5. The DVD player in my Mormon Assault Vehicle. Yep, one of the greatest inventions known to any mom who has to travel. Oh yeah, and the four-wheel-drive at 80 mph is good too. 6. Conference in my jammies. Thanks to television, radio, satellite dishes and the Internet (all great candidates by themselves), having the ability to watch or listen to General Conference from the comfort of my own home, in my jammies, is a beautiful thing. Now if only I could do Stake Conference the same way . . . . . 7. Pediatricians and medical help on demand. I'm fortunate enough to have a good friend who is also a pediatrician and is willing to take my weirded-out-mommy calls at 2:00 a.m. Of course in exchange I have to take her I-need-a lawyer-now calls sometimes at the same hour. But even without her, I have 800 numbers, poison control hot lines, emergency rooms and 911. All of which make me a much happier mommy. 8. Lycra and Nikes. Either or both make me a better woman any way you look at it. 9. Microwaves & Mac-n-Cheese. Ahhhhh, instant gratification. 10. Disneyland. It's my happy place.

15 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

How about newspapers, airplanes, TV, and email? (blogs!) I can't imagine what it was like back then when you had to communicate through letters that may or may not make it through the pony express. Waiting weeks to find out what happened the day before; let alone having to take 5 months to walk across the country when now I can fly it in just a few hours.

Good post...I'm feelin' the gratitude, too!

3/28/2006 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Edje said...

My list has air-conditioning (here in Texas I've been running it intermittently for two months already this year).

3/28/2006 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Central heating and air conditioning.

Hot Water heaters to go along with that indoor plumbing.

Cold cereal.

Movies. Well, the good ones, anyway.

3/28/2006 11:52:00 AM  
Anonymous mimi said...

Grocery stores-
If I had to grow or otherwise produce all the things my family eats they would starve. I once saw a fresh egg with chicken poop on it and I still have a problem with eggs.

Disposable diapers and wet wipes.

3/28/2006 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Washing machines, dryers, cordless phones, sippy cups, and a big "heck-yeah" on the Epidurals, disposable diapers, Indoor plumbing, heat and Hot water.

3/28/2006 02:36:00 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

1. Cell phones and airplanes - my husband and I live on opposite coasts right now being able to get from here to there is 5 hours is a huge miracle.

2. Google and Wikipedia - I'm an information junkie. How did people find out how to do stuff before the internet?

3/28/2006 03:06:00 PM  
Blogger Thoroughly Mormon Millie said...

Readily available chocolate

Indoor swimming pools

Recording and playback equipment - I need my CDs

And just since I've been a kid, movies on VHS and DVD - and VCRs and DVD players. My kids can't imagine having to wait to watch "Wizard of Oz" once a year and the Charlie Brown specials and the Christmas specials... spoiled little buggers.

3/28/2006 05:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Nature said...

WARNING: Don't read this post if you are sensitive to TMI.

I like the original list. The first two things that always come to mind to me when I think of how horrible it would have been to be a pioneer are 1.) Tampons (just had to second that one. The thought of using rags, especially when water was scarce...eeeeewwww!! I only use pads when I'm forced to after childbirth, as it is.) and 2.) lotion. I would have had to slather my dry skin with grease and then I would've been eaten alive by wolves. (If they didn't track me down from my menstrual rag scent...)

3/28/2006 05:23:00 PM  
Anonymous cory said...

One that hasn't been mentioned yet: Toothpaste! My teeth are bad enough as it is, I don't know what it would be like with "pull them all out" style dental care.

3/28/2006 06:26:00 PM  
Anonymous jamisue said...

Nature girl ---
I am soooo with ya sista! That's why its number 2 on the list! I am loving all these addtions and agreeing with all of them! Glad to know I'm not alone in my gratitude. Keep it up!

3/28/2006 07:30:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Oh, my favorite clothing item! JEANS! And I'm allowed to wear them on a daily basis.

Also sunscreen. I would have been a burnt tomato who died of melanoma before anoyone knew what cancer was. And the sunburns alone would have kept me indoors away from all that field work which would have gone to pot as I tried to breastfeed all my kids because brith control wasn't in use.

3/28/2006 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Tigersue said...

. Voting. While Wyoming gave women the right to vote in 1864 and other Western states, including Utah granted suffrage a few years later, women's suffrage didn’t really take hold until the 19th amendment in 1920. This was definitely an improvement and one for which I am very grateful, just remember that Utas was ahead of Wyoming in the sufferage movement, the only reason women in Utah aren't consider the first to vote is because Utah wasn't a state yet, but women in general in the area had many more rights than women across the country.

I'm afraid I'm a tampon and pad user, I have never not had a tampon fail on me so I have to use pads as extra protection, be thankful we have the pads we do now. Even when I had my first baby they were using the pads with a belt, Yuck, they were horrible to get in the right place. Yeah for pads with wings!

3/28/2006 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Trivial Mom said...

Baby monitors, night lights, binki's, disposable bottle liners, breast pumps. . . All of which we would not have survived my daughters first year if we hadn't had!

3/29/2006 01:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Sue said...

C-sections - I would have died in childbirth if I was a pioneer!

3/29/2006 04:12:00 AM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Sue- me too. I would be dead on the side of the trail. Didn't need a c-section, but did require heroic measures several times over. Hooray for modern medical proceedures and medicine that saves mamas and babies!

And vaccinations. Whatever your opinion on them, they too have saved many a life!

3/29/2006 10:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home