2/12/2006

A Price Above Rubies

One of the greatest blessing of this Gospel are the promises we have of the hereafter. Maybe I am so keenly aware of it because I have not always had it, but the depth of the restored Gospel and what it promises us is astounding. It is truly the Price Above Rubies, or more accurately, that Pearl of Great Price. This weekend, I lost my last remaining grandparent. My grandpa died quietly in his sleep, and we got a phone call from one of his VFW buddies telling us the news. It was not unexpected, as he had declined minor surgery for a small heart problem, knowing full well what it meant. His facilities were entirely about him, but, like many proud men of his generation, that Greatest Generation, he refused to depend on anyone or anything for his the rest of his life. He went out like he lived his life- on his own terms and in his own time. When my grandma died just over six years ago, I watched how the grieving process effecting my loved ones, as well as myself. Even though at the time I was not yet a member of the Church, I knew that my grandma was not gone, that her spirit was simply moving on, as it was supposed to, and this gave me great comfort. Members of my family, and specifically my mother, had no such faith, thus death becomes a thief, a robber who steals away your loved one, and there is nothing to fill the void. When you think that life ends when a body dies, death then becomes a terrifying unknown, a thing to be frightened of and by. And, even more scary, is the idea of your soul going nowhere, ending, snuffed like a candle flame. It feels utterly hopeless. And so the healing cannot begin, and a person floats, directionless on a vast sea of tears and questions that have no answers. Contrast that with the brilliant and glorious light of the Restored Gospel. Maybe it feels so bright to me because of the contrast I have with not knowing, but I cannot imagine anything greater than knowing I will see my grandparents again. I will someday again touch my grandma's cheek, and will be able to hold her hand, and that maybe, after all of their earthly trials and even their divorce half a century ago, my grandparents have the hope of being together again. I know there is work to do, but just the thought of my grandma greeting the long lost Love of her life as he entered the kingdom yesterday, is a miraculous gift. (I suspect she had a few choice words for him, if I know her!) To me, this is the miracle of Christ's atonement, the holy grail, if you will.

9 Comments:

Blogger The Daring One said...

This is such a great, faith promoting post. Thank you for sharing this. There is comfort in knowing that but it's still okay to miss him.

2/13/2006 03:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Mark IV said...

Wonderful, Tracy M.

One of the best things about the restored gospel is how it offers us dignity in suffering and grief.

2/13/2006 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Beautiful. Just beautiful. My great aunt just recently died - she was 92, had a bad heart, and had lived a full and rich life. There was very little grief at her funeral. Everyone was so sure about where she was, and who she was with.

I have never been afraid of death, due to having had the gospel all my life, but I know people in the church are still scared of it. It is a natural fear, but this does give us great comfort.

2/13/2006 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I don't fear death for myself at all. Sometimes I wonder what meeting my Savior will be like, and what He will have to say about how I lived my life, but that's a different kind of fear. I also fear for the kind of life my son would have if his mother dies when he is young. I know that couldn't be easy, and that makes me feel sad, too. But for just myself, I don't fear death. It's the next great adventure!

2/13/2006 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Heather / Wiz, I'm with you- death per se, does not scare me, but the thought of leaving my children without a mother scares me to no end. That would be one of my worse fears.

2/13/2006 07:02:00 PM  
Blogger Kage said...

Coincidence, the other day I was wondering if I were to die TODAY...would I be at all ticked off that I was away from my family. Is where we are going so much more wonderful that we are totally zen with NOT being on earth with our spouse and children...or if I were to go TODAY would I say: "Hallelujah, this is glorious...but man am I ticked that I can't raise those two girls"

2/13/2006 07:50:00 PM  
Blogger mom on a wire said...

So many of my family members have been lost in the past few years. It has been hard to watch the rest of my family deal with this grief, none of them comforted by the clear knowledge that I have of seeing our loved ones again. I want all of them to read this post.

2/13/2006 08:42:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Family surely is beyond price.

2/15/2006 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger Thoroughly Mormon Millie said...

There are some great quotes in the Brigham Young RS manual about death and beyond... he said that as many friends as we have on this side of the veil, there are infinitely more there, and they're pulling for us. Death is another birth, and when it's time to die, our arrival there is more eagerly awaited than those of our newborn children here. I'm not anxious to die at all, but knowing what a joyous reunion awaits me, I *almost* look forward to it. That, and I'm dying to meet my Grandma Hattie, my genealogical muse. :)

2/22/2006 12:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home