2/18/2006

A new me

Hooray!! The cast is off, and the wrist is still in pain (but OH! I never thought I'd love washing my hands as much as I do now. Warm water on both arms - what a miracle). I try to maneuver it in ways that were totally natural before, but apparently my wrist likes to say things to me like "Sorry, throwing balls is no longer something you will be able to do. Please drive through." But I'm working on getting my range of motion back, because finding a babysitter for sessions of physical therapy is something I do not want to ever facing dealing with. I've got 3 weeks to get my wrist maneuverable before the doctor checks me out to see if therapy is recommended. It's coming. Go me. I can do it. And...I have brand new eyes. Last night was my appointment (finally!) for Lasik surgery, and although I can see fairly well today, the eyedrops every half an hour are a pain, and the whole surgical experience was less than pleasant. It was remarkably unpeasant, actually. Ok, it totally sucked. From the waiting for 3 and 1/2 hours to the taping open of my eye when it's not quite numb, and the horribly bright lights in your face ("Don't squint, honey." "Don't squint? Those are hugely bright lights and they hurt to have anywhere near my face! And I am NOT your honey!" "I know, I'm sorry, but don't squint) to the video they give you! They videoed it? Who wants to see that? The ewwwww factor is big there for me, but DH is dying to see it. And then I went home in these weird eye shields that had Toddler-Man laughing at "Mommy's silly face" and let me tell you -- half a valium at 2:00 does NOT help when they finally squeeze you in at 5:30! But I can see today, which is nothing short of miraculous, and a few thousand eye drops is a small price to pay. Of course, the bill is not a small price to pay....but I've been saving. Let's hear it for eyesight! So....just one more surgery left, lots and lots of follow-ups, and a scan (possibly just one, but likely more) in my future, and then hopefully I'll be able to re-enter the world of people who don't go to the doctor 8 times a month. Yippee-ki-yay, there's a light at the end of the tunnel! But I do know that there are people who NEVER are able to enter that realm, so in the spirit of rejoicing - YEE-HAA! Someday I'll be well again (assuming all goes as planned). So...all these posts on sickness must have everyone wondering what on earth is going on over at MMW. Well, I just don't know. Maybe the moon is in some weird retrograde thing that makes all motherly bloggers get horribly ill at the same time. Maybe our computers are toxic. Maybe we're all just too old. I do have a theory, and it involves aliens and Jean-Luc Picard and Star Trek being real, (except that DS9 crap) and maybe Death really does look like Brad Pitt, and that all cosmically works together as we are all slowly being poisoned by fluoridated water. But nobody seems to really buy into that theory. So maybe there is someone out there who needs to hear about our sickness, or maybe we just need to talk about it to heal, or MAYBE......this is the universe's way of telling us to slow down. It could be, perhaps, that we do too much, and our bodies need to force us to slow down occasionally. Naaahhhh......

5 Comments:

Anonymous wbpraw said...

Yahoo, Lasik!! But, I'm sorry you had a crappy expeience. They gave me 2 Xanax as opposed to your half a valium, I was in and out of there, I felt nothing, and as a matter of fact, I can't even remember my dr's face because while talking to me, I was still blind, and they shooed me out rather quickly. I slept the rest of the day with the weird goggles (thank you, Xanax). The eye drops were a pain, but very necessary. My eyes were soooo very dry and I still have a bit of dry eye syndrome - But let's hear it for seeing the clock in the middle of the night, swimming, and not giving your kids adult medication by accident- or was that just me?

2/18/2006 07:06:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Oh, I really am interested in getting my eyes fixed, but I'm scared about it too. Keep us posted on how it's working for you.

Congrats on the cast off- Yay for showers without plastic bags! Hope the healing goes well.

2/18/2006 09:47:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Welcome back to the land of the living!

2/20/2006 09:23:00 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

Note to self: get xanax, not valium, and lots of it, in case I get eye surgery.

I have to have it for the dentist or they can't even numb me. I would hate to see me, undrugged, having eye surgery.

Wiz, I bet you will ever take your hand for granted again. Nor will we :) Welcome back.

Can you see better? I would look so pretty in pictures if I took off my glasses. Or maybe not. That's just what my friends say.

2/24/2006 07:19:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Yes, I will never take my arm for granted. And yes, I can see very well. But definitely go for xanax if that's an option. Each day it's better and better. It's weird, though, because taking out those contacts was the last step of the day. I truly was 'off duty' once I was blind for thie night. Now I don't have that. I can see as I fall asleep? What's that about?

2/24/2006 10:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home