12/21/2005

Rooftops and the Holy Ghost

As I was driving my 4 year old home from preschool, we saw a man on his rooftop, shoveling snow. (Well, she said she saw that, but since there's not enough snow here to merit that, it's basically impossible. So I just told her, "Wow, that's neat, honey." Ever just randomly said that to your kids? It's like saying, "Yeah, uh-huh" on the phone when you're not really listening.) She said, "He could slip and fall and crack his head open." Which solicited another "Uh-huh. He sure could. He needs to be safe." Then the conversation got interesting. "Mom, if you crack your head open, does the Holy Ghost slip out?" "What?" She repeats the question "No, the Holy Ghost isn't in you, it's just with you." She ponders this. "But what about bones?" "What about bones? We bury the bones. Your spirit leaves your body and goes up to heaven, and we bury the bones." "So your spirit goes up to heaven, and the Holy Ghost comes with you? Does it hold your hand?" "Yes." More pondering. "Are there beds in heaven?" "No. I don't think so, because we won't get tired." "But sometimes I get really really tired, and I need a cozy bed. There are no cozy beds in heaven?" "Honey, if you want a cozy bed in heaven, you can have a cozy bed in heaven." I know I will have a cozy bed in heaven. Cozy beds are my favorite. Continues to ponder these things in her heart. "Is Jesus allowed to stay up until midnight?" Again,"What?" "Can Jesus stay up 'til midnight?" "Yes, honey, Jesus doesn't go to sleep." "You mean he gets to stay up ALL NIGHT? Doesn't he get tired?" "No, he doesn't." If I'm teaching false doctrine, I'm sure somebody from T&S will correct me. But I like the idea of the Holy Ghost holding my hand as I go up to heaven. The fact that He doesn't have hands does not bother me in the least. Clearly, however, she ponders other things besides the nature of the Godhead. Later that day, my sister called. My 4 year old answered the phone. "Yeah, Mommy's right here. Do you think our dog is fat?"

9 Comments:

Anonymous Susan M said...

Haha. That's awesome.

My youngest HATES it when I give the absent-minded reply. My standard is always "Uh-huh..." Once he yelled at me for it, "Don't just say UH-HUH!" But man he can talk my ear off.

12/21/2005 01:00:00 PM  
Blogger moddy said...

Sounds like my kids.
My 4 yr old son can ask question after question w/o missing a beat. I've tried telling him that he needs to save some questions for later or he might run out of them, he said that he will never run out of questions, and I believe him. Last year he was very concerned to know who he would marry, and for about 3 months or more everyday all day he would pick different people that he wanted to know if he could marry.
Kids at this age can sure ask some interesting questions along with those very frustrating questions.

12/21/2005 03:35:00 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

Last month on the way home from Utah when my Sam was doing this (nonstop questions) I did the "blah blah" hand sign to DH. You know ... fingers opening and closing as if you're using a hand puppet? I thought I was discreet, but SAM SAW ME! Now he does it to me all the time! Argh!

Great questions from your daughter, Wiz! I hope I have a cozy bed in heaven!

12/21/2005 03:43:00 PM  
Anonymous manaen said...

Ana, that works both ways: a couple weeks ago, my girl friend was driving with her 2 y/o grandson in the rear seat. She was telling him not to do something and when she turned around to look at him, he was smiling at her -- and had an index finger in each ear.

12/21/2005 06:26:00 PM  
Blogger Island Queen said...

Aww.. that's sweet. You have an intelligent little girl!

12/22/2005 02:09:00 AM  
Blogger White Man Retarded said...

At a stake conference when my oldest was 3 or 4. It was just me and him and we sat in the back in the last few rows of folding chairs. He was a little distracting, but no big deal. Near the end, however, it got to the point where I had to take him out (4 y/o have a suprisingly low threshold for high priests' talks). As I stood up holding him on my hip, he yelled as loud as he could, "Dad, you're hurting my peee-nis!" There I was, in the back of stake conference, with half the stake turned to look at me. Ugh, I felt very embarrassed. This has nothing to do with random pre-school questions about the gospel, but your blog made me think of this...

12/22/2005 06:01:00 PM  
Blogger richmanwisco said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/24/2005 02:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not on topic, but more related to the blog listed above - if you like profanity, go ahead and visit. I found it tasteless, for the 10 seconds that I browsed. -Erin

12/24/2005 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

Oh, wonderful. You captured the child.

12/26/2005 05:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home