11/21/2005

Slippery slope indeed

There's a toss up for the title of this little blurb soo... Conscientiousness vs. Convenience or How I Sold my Soul for Cargo Space and some Huggies. OR (I just love OR's) Oil Vei, My Handbasket is a Honda! This fall marked some major milestones in my life. Among other things, we moved into our first house and bought a car. Earlier this year I had my first child and my husband finished a big part of his schooling. We, at age 30, are “growing up”. Part of being a grown-up, to me anyway, is being responsible. Making wise choices, being a good citizen. I’ve always kind of fancied myself as a bit of a socially and environmentally conscious person. I’ve spent my adult life letting my dollar do the talking when it comes to business and trade practices and so forth, choosing (when and where possible) to shop at stores and buy brands that I believe to be more corporately responsible than their counterparts, often spending a bit more to feel better about my consumption. Call me a bleeding heart if you must. In addittion to my retail practices, I’ve always driven a Honda Civic and made the choice to do so with fuel economy and emissions standards in mind. Well folks, in the span of but a few weeks I’ve blown that all to hell. The new house we bought is not anywhere near the “big-box” store that I prefer to patronize. While admittedly still a “big-box” store, it has a bit better reputation as a corporation and as a community member than its evil step sister Wal-Mart. You guessed it. Turns out the new house is VERY close to the local Waldemort. Tantalizingly close. And I need diapers. That scoundrel smiley face taunts me as I write this. It is altogether likely that in the madness that is “falling prices”, my favorite nappy is at an incredibly low price right across the bridge from my house. Which brings me to my second consumer transgression. In order to pack the Huggies home and still have room for the rest of the groceries and the stroller and the library books and the diaper bag and not have parcels piled up around my son in his car seat I needed more room. [Head hung in shame] I bought an SUV. [\Head hung in shame] I know I know! Aghh! In all fairness, it isn’t a Suburban or anything. It has a small car chassis! It gets 25 mpg! It’s still a Honda! Aw crap, it’s still an SUV. It’s still a glutten with gas compared to the alternative. It’s still a bit of a road hog. But oh baby, I drank the kool-aid. I can SEE out of it (as a short person this is marvelous) and I can put so much STUFF in it. I’m gonna feel like an actual authentic mom navigating around the parking lot at… Wal-Mart. And then I’m going straight to hell.

13 Comments:

Blogger The Wiz said...

Waldemort. My vote for best made up word ever.

11/21/2005 07:23:00 PM  
Blogger melissa c said...

It is painful, isn't it. It's like stepping down. I know how you feel. I drive a minivan. How embarrassing but like you said, It is great to pack it away in! So much room my golden retreiver can even come along for the ride!
Great blog.

11/21/2005 08:43:00 PM  
Anonymous heather h said...

ok, I just have to say this....wimp! I have 2 kids and 2 car seats and we still manage to fit into our little 4 dr sedan....I think seceretly you wanted the SUV :).

About Walmart- Ha Ha, I had a goog snicker over that. I have decided recetnly that one needs to be wealthy to have a social conscience. I suppose you could switch to cloth diapers and home made wipes.

I know the internet leaves a lot to the imagination in regards to tone, this is in no way meant to offend, good natured chiding.

11/21/2005 09:27:00 PM  
Blogger whatserbucket said...

I wish I could claim rights to Waldemort. I saw it elsewhere first. (Should have footnoted that I suppose).
Thanks for the chiding, all in good fun.
Cheers, ladies.

11/21/2005 09:50:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I, too, absolutely love Waldemort. The name I mean, not the store. You have to live in Arkansas to get a feel for just how nasty a Walmart can be. But I have been to some nice ones in Utah. Sadly, their falling prices and one-stop shopping can tempt any frazzled, diaperless, pooped out mom.

Hey, if we're all in Waldemort hell together, y'all want to start a book group there?

11/21/2005 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy M said...

Im laughing so much I can't type! With my fist baby, I did the eco-thing and used organic cotton diapers and re-usable wipes, and drove a VW, and only shopped at sustainabley grown stores and blah blah blah,...

The weight of the world just became too much for me to hold up!
Now I am the frazled, pooped mom that just wants things to be easier, and if I can go to Woldemort and get all my sale items at one place, and cheap paper diapers, hooray for me.

What are we reading for our first book?

11/21/2005 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

I want a Suburban so bad I can taste it. One with leather seats and a DVD player, no two DVD players in the back seats. Every thing.

I don't love Wal-Mart, but it's become a necessary evil. Plus my kids have all worked there and they're nice to their employees. I couldn't afford my Charmin without it.

11/21/2005 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

No one ever needs to be embarrassed about driving a mini-van! I haven't owned a car in over six years, but now we have two kids and are moving out of NYC so mini-van here we come! I honestly can't wait. I don't need to drive the "cool" car to be "cool". That's what clothes are for. :)

When it comes to the evil Wal-mart, I don't really know much about that debate -- I don't even know of one around here. But when I visit UT, I am always overwhelmed at how big those suckers are.

11/22/2005 02:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kim Siever said...

If a car could fit three car seats and two adults, I'd have purchase a sedan this spring instead of a minivan.

11/23/2005 12:23:00 AM  
Anonymous claire said...

I'm in the anti-walmart camp and I'm sure I'll have to eat my words to because they are building a new "urban walmart" a few blocks from me and I'm sure the call of the diaper will sucker me in more than once. Supposedly it's going to be a smaller, friendlier, more upper class walmart, if those are words that can even go in the same sentence! We'll see. They are building underground parking so that is a first step.

11/23/2005 01:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats my problem too! Where is the car that can fit three or four carseats, my husband and I and still have room for groceries, a stroller and maybe room to pick grandpa up at the airport? Let alone a car that is environmentally responsible?

But then I guess people who are responsible don't have three or four kids, at least that is what the snarky kids at the natural foods market say.

Turns me off to the whole movement now, unfortunately. I get awfully tired of having to live up to someone else's idea of what is a correct life. We are all doing the best we can. Let's please refrain from judging each other based on what we drive of where we shop or how many children we have.

11/23/2005 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toyota makes a 7 passenger hybrid Highlander SUV. That's a start. I just wish I had the money to buy one.

11/24/2005 10:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I are looking for a sedan right now. We have two kids and are trying for a third. What's our standard for the car? MPG and the measurement in the back seat. We actually got out the measuring tape. I also found a mom that got three kids with seats in the back of a Toyota Camry. I dream of a minivan, personally, with all that room and good gas miles (for the size). 2005 Qwest Nissans look the best to my eye. My husband on the other hand would rather stick it out cramped in a Camry before he drives a minivan. Even, that, though isn't quite stylish enough and he's trying to squeeze three in the back seat of an Altima!

As for the Walmart debate -- my husband worships Waldemort. He says he's never been happier shopping then at that store. It's hard to stay loyal to the local supermarket when your husband bribes you with him doing the grocery shopping if it's at Wally's. I went to Wild Oats and bought healthy organic etc. food last week in an atempt to raise the level of foods in my home, but the stress of receiving the bill probably undid any health benefits.

1/10/2006 12:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home