11/28/2005

Let the Frenzy Begin

Well, we survived Thanksgiving. Barely. Between going to two houses, making two different kinds of stuffing, ("We have to have Stove Top!" "I don't care what kind you bring, just not Stove Top." )and comparing pies, I'm surprised we didn't all just float away on a sea of tryptophan and whipped cream. And now, let the frenzy begin! DH scored major points with the girls by putting up Christmas lights on Saturday. They've wanted lights every year, and every year he complains that they're just too hard to put up [DH: They ARE hard!]. Well, apparently, this year it got easier [DH: Nope!], because it took him relatively little time [DH: 3 hours in the FREEZING cold], and he was filled with all sorts of unrighteous pride [DH: ok, I'll admit to this] because......Behold! We were the first on our street to get lights up! Seriously. This was a big issue for him. Why he had to be first, I do not understand, but hey, if it gets the lights up, I will not complain. [DH: It seems like every year we are playing catch-up to get all of our Christmas stuff done. I was just happy to be a little ahead of the game for once!] And so begins the season of re-putting up decorations on the tree daily that little destructo-man pulls off. (Fortunately they are all plastic towards the bottom of the tree). So begins the season of "Don't go in there! No reason, really, just don't!" So begins the season of looking forward to getting the mail, because instead of solely bills and junk mail, there are Christmas cards from friends and family. So begins the season of "Where's the tape? Have you seen the scissors? Again, no reason really. Just wondering for the sake of organizing the house." And so begins the season of dusting off the dial to the car radio (instead of listening to children's music CD's) because they start to play Christmas carols, and that is something my kids and I both enjoy. Or they are forced to enjoy, anyway, because that IS the music that gets played in the car. So begins the season when network television becomes watchable, with Rudolph and Charlie Brown making their annual pilgrimage into my living room. Break out the hot chocolate and the popcorn, because "The Year Without a Santa Clause" is on! How I love the annual war between Heat-Meiser and Cold-Meiser. So begins the season of really focusing, even more than usual, on Christ, His birth, and His life. Bring it on.

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather O. said...

I'm getting stressed just reading your post! At least I got my Christmas cards done today. Well, I mean, I have the cards, the envelopes, and the stationary for the Christmas letter. I haven't done the real work, yet!

Seems like Christmas comes faster every year. I still have my Halloween doormat outside!AACK!

11/28/2005 04:13:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

This is the first year, that I have actually listented to Christmas music, since about Halloween. I don't know why. Something inside of me, decided that KOSY 106.5 could indeed be my station for a bit.

I honestly think that we had a much more spiritual Thanksgiving because of it. Odd. I know.

Heather! I haven't even decided about Christmas Cards, I usually have that done by now!!!

Goodness.

11/28/2005 08:10:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. M said...

The Wiz, I'm with you. Bring it on. I have a question though. You can tell me that it's tacky and I won't be offended... I have stopped mailing Christmas cards to people unless I don't have their email address. I email my Christmas letter and photos and links to more photos and feel happy because I'm saving money on postage and saving trees. I do love getting Christmas cards in the mail because I love mail in general, but I agonize over what to do with them. In the long run, I usually throw them away, although I do scan photos that come my way. What do you think? Is it too tacky? Or is it a great idea?

11/29/2005 12:47:00 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

I'm looking forward to surprising my husband with neat things this year. It will be his Christmas. He always looks forward to it, I don't give a crap. When we were kids, we didn't have Christmas most of the time, so it doesn't matter. But he is like a child.

So my present to him this year is to do what he wants to do and give to him. Special stuff.

I spent all day Saturday three of my grandchildren at a special festival of trees. The people who'd organized it really went all out. I wish I had pictures of the delight and awe on my five year old's face. She's a true believer.

Then they had a storybook parade with the most awesome floats. It was heavenly. I'm in the spirit this year.

See you guys in January. Merry Christmas!

Oh, ps this is a neat thing we put in our Christmas cards one year and with the treats we took our neighbors because we love them so much: "In friendship...we think we have chosen our peers. In reality a few years difference in the dates of our birth, a few more miles between certain houses, a choice of one university instead of another...the accident of a topic being raised or not raised at at first meeting--any of these chances might have kept us apart. But for a Christian, there striclty, no chances. A secret master of ceremonies has been at work. Christ, who said to the disciples: 'You have not chosen me, but I have chosen you,' can truly be saying to every group of Christian friends: "You have not chosen one another, but I have chosen you for one another." The friendship is not a reward for our discrimination and good taste in finding one another out. It is the instrument by which God reveals to each the beauty of others." Everyone loved it. Put is on a nice paper in nice script and tie it with a ribbon and you don't have to bake!

11/29/2005 03:34:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

erin-
No, I don't think your idea is tacky, but then, I love getting email in general, although not quite as much as getting regular mail. I think it stems from my childhood where I always brought in the mail, and I always thought my parents were so lucky, getting all those letters all the time.

I didn't realize, of course, that most of those "letters" were bills and solicitations.

But as long as you acknowledge that it's Christmas, and send out generla good cheer, whether electronically or on paper. Good cheer is always good karma.

11/29/2005 12:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home