10/17/2005

Hidden Treasures

When I was little, occasionally we would go visit Daddy in his office. And while there, my siblings and I would tear apart his office in search of his hidden candy. Of course, his candy was often NASTY candy, in the form of circus peanuts, but hey, candy is candy. (What is the deal with circus peanuts anyway? They're orange, they're shaped like peanuts, somewhat marshmallow consistency, and yet - they're banana flavored. To quote Miss Congeniality - "How bizarro is that?") Anyway, I always wondered why he hid his candy. Why not have it in plain sight? Why not bring some of it home to his loving children instead of keeping it stashed in his office? Plus, logicallly, if he was hiding candy in his office, then perhaps he was hiding candy somewhere in the house. So I would search, and while my search did not often bear fruit, occasionally a bag of jelly bellies would surface. Again, what's with the gross candy? Jelly Bellies? Why couldn't Dad like chocolate candy bars or Jolly Ranchers? Well, I now completely understand the need to hide candy from children. You see, here's the secret I never knew as a child: Candy was not invented to destroy baby teeth alone. Adult teeth is just as susceptible. And while adults don't eat it as often as children do, occasionally, there is a need for sugar. And hidden sugar is often the only available sugar. So I buy cheap cookies and put them in the cookie jar. I buy Pepperidge Farm Milanos (or Bordeaux) and hide them in the medicine cabinet. If you look hard enough, you might find the occasional Three Musketeers or Skor bar stashed as well. Let me make this clear - it is not all of the time, it is not even most of the time. But it is some of the time. Am I the only one that does this? Does the mean I'm like the alcoholic that hides liquor in the toilet bowl? Do I need a 12-step program? Do you hide things from your children? And where do you hide it? Because my kids are starting to figure out that the medicine cabinet occasionally yields yummies other than medicine. They're not stupid. And, after all, they probably think just like I did as a kid: If it's in the house, then it's fair game. After all, Mommy didn't mean to hide it, she just stuck it in the wrong cupboard. Probably just an accident.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Heather O said...

Hey, Jelly Bellies are totally awesome, especially if you get them with the box that has all the cool recipes about how you can mix them to get different flavors. I love 'em!

I'm with you on the circus peanuts, though. Yuck-a-rama.

10/17/2005 05:16:00 PM  
Anonymous JKS said...

I totally hide candy from the kids. I love sugar. But I want to raise my children to eat healthy. So, they get apples and yogurt (and probably one popsicle/dessert/candy per day).
I sneak candy, and then, of course, I eat my bowl of icecream after they go to bed.
Besides the healthy issue, there is the cost. If I buy nice chocolate, I don't want to waste it on them.

10/17/2005 05:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Beanie said...

A great place to hide things...take the bottom drawer all the way out of the dresser, place whatever you don't want others to find inside the dresser and put the drawer back in. Smaller items work best like, yes candy! (Most dressers are in a raised frame.) That was one of my favorite places to hide things growing up. Even now I will hide things under the last drawer of the dresser, if it takes more effort than opening cupboards or doors, I know its safe from others.

10/17/2005 07:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Susan M said...

I can't eat candy (diabetic) but my husband has a serious need for chocolate occasionally, so we usually keep some stashed. My kids are so used to not having candy in the house (or cookies, or cake, or anything) that when they find it, they never overdose on it. I can tell them to just have two and they'll stick to it.

10/17/2005 10:28:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

My husband hides Ritz crackers in his side of the closet, but Sarah always finds them. We were always hiding our treats from Sarah. We would buy two, and she would go through her box, then come find ours. We had stuff hidden all over the house. It's a wonder we don't have mice.

I found a good place to hide treats is under the vegetables in the vegetable bin. Well, if I'm hiding a steak or something I'm going to have when Bill goes out of town.

The other day Sarah came over so upset because her brothers-in-law, ages 15, 11, and 6, came over and ate her stuff. Then she complained because her new husband left his cereal bowl on the table when she'd just cleaned. I just looked at her, but I wasn't surprised.

10/17/2005 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Andrea Wright said...

I was the expert at finding my Mom's stashes. She is hopelessly addicted to chocolate and I would often find an open bag of chocolate chips behind her sewing machine.

Later in life when she couldn't eat all that and still be 120 pounds, things reversed a bit. Whenever she would make a dessert and there were leftovers she would make me or one of my siblings hide it from her. I think that's what I need to start doing.

10/18/2005 11:41:00 AM  
Anonymous heather h said...

I don't hide candy from my children, I hide it from my husband! I like the ocassionaly sweet every now and then. But if it is plain view you can bet it won't last 60 seconds around my husband. So if I want to be able to slowly nurse a candy bar over a few weeks period of time I must hide it. My MIL told me her best hiding place, inside the crock pot- who would ever think to look there?! I usually hide it somewhere in the fridge disguised as a leftover no one wants.

10/18/2005 09:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try putting your goodies in a ziplock bag and put them in the dirty clothes hamper. Sounds yuck, but inside the bag they should be fine. Have you ever had to shoo your kids away from the hamper? Worked for me!

10/19/2005 04:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home