9/22/2005

The Price is Right, among other things

I've nothing to say. Well, nothing that's not been said. (If you can name that musical reference, I'll give you a thousand dollars. Not really.) I found myself watching "The Price is Right" this morning, and trying to guess how much the showcases were, and ignoring the fact that my 2 yo was crunching Pringles into the couch, and I just thought "How did I get here?" I woke up, got reay, made my daughter's lunch, made sure homework was in order, got breakfast for everybody, let the dog out, took my oldest to school, and then came back and just FLOOPPEED. This was not a stressful morning. It was a very standard morning, except that we actually got up a few minutes earlier than usual and I knew where my keys were, so, in actuality, it was a roaring success. This is usually my time to do laundry, clean up breakfast, maybe run a vacuum over any cereal that may have found its way onto the floor. (Why doesn't my dog like cereal? She'll eat lettuce, but not cereal. What's up with that?) And usually, I like the fact that I am forced to get up around 8:00, and get everybody ready and out the door by 8:50. It gives my day more structure than the summer ever had. But today, as I stared at Bob Barker's shiny white hair, I just thought "Why am I awake?" Maybe it's the alignment of the stars. The moon is in the wrong phase or something. Maybe it's just that reading about Hurricanes Katrina, Ophelia, and Rita, along with the possibilities of several more hitting other vulnerable areas before hurricane season is over, has made me very discouraged. Or maybe it's because nobody is giving me a free sports car if I guess how much a box of cereal cost. It could be anything, really. I read that the Atlantic is in a cycle of "increased hurricane activity" and it's basically something that happens every 25 to 40 years. It has nothing to do with global warming or anything, it's just a cycle that the ocean has. HELLO! Oceans have cycles, too? And we're all just on the wrong side of that cycle? Really, is there anything that's not cyclical? (I mean, even Care Bears disappeared and then years later suddenly showed up, along with Strawberry Shortcake and Scooby-Doo, if I may totally mix metaphors, and I can, because this is partly my blog. Niiiiice run-on sentence, Wiz.) I like the phrase. I going to start using it. "Leave me alone, I'm in a cycle of 'increased hurricane activity'.

7 Comments:

Blogger melissa c said...

Loved your post. You sound frightenly like me! I did not know I had a twin out there somewhere! I actually feel emabarrased sometimes when I tell people I can sleep late. (with 4 kids?) What I am wondering is, Does hurricane season ever end? I think this cycle has lasted about 10 years!

9/22/2005 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Can I use "increased hurricane activity" as a euphemism for something else? Like, "HEY, back off! Don't you know what time of the month it is? It's time for my increased hurricane activity!"

Yes, yes, I like it!

9/22/2005 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Melissa -
The thing I read said that increased hurricane activity is about 20 years (the last time was from the 40s to the 60s). This particular cycle began around 1995, so I guess we're just about at the halfway mark. How depressing, is it not?

9/22/2005 06:08:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

That happens to me sometimes, too!

One night I couldn't sleep and boy, the weird TV on late night. I actually watched some fight between two really mean -looking guys.

Wiz, the good news is we're halfway through this hurricane activity. :)

9/23/2005 11:12:00 AM  
Anonymous Nate Oman said...

I know that there were some really awful hurricanes that hit Florida in the late 1920s. At the time, Florida was going through a massive real-estate boom as it was first discovered as a retirement location for people from the North East. Lots of coastal Florida property were going for enormous sums. When the hurricanes hit and flattened a number of towns, the bottom fell out of the real estate market in Florida, which sent shockwaves through the banking system, which was hit again a short time later when the stock market crashed. Maybe huricanes cycles are also linked to stock-market cycles.

9/23/2005 11:27:00 AM  
Anonymous jbn said...

Nathan, is there anything you don't know?! I want your brain...

9/28/2005 01:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a mummy too! I found your blog looking for other mummys and thought I'd let you know of a great live chat site for mummys... Its called Mommy Chats and its owned/operated by a mummy just like you! We have weekly chats on a variety of parenting topics and also have a partnership with Mothering Magazine and host all their informative chats with parenting experts! Come check it out!

10/08/2005 12:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home