8/16/2005

Mottos

I have decided that my youngest's motto in life is: Why walk when you can hop? He is almost two, and he loves to hop and jump (along with saying his "word" for "jump", which you would not know is "jump" unless you are his mother, or possibly, his father). When he is hopping, he is more joyful than I usually am in an entire day. Maybe an entire week. And depending on the month......And this is telling me that once again, I have something to learn from my children. Because joy is everywhere, if only you can remember your motto: Why walk when you can hop? My 6yo's current motto: Why not ask? You might learn something. (and, as a bonus, you might drive your mother crazy in the process.) My 4yo's current motto: Maybe if I say, "But I don't WANT to" loud enough, I will make my imbecile parents understand that some things just aren't fun. Because they keep asking me to do stuff that isn't fun. And if it isn't fun, forget it. Also, some people think 4 yo's can't do stuff that 6 year-olds can do. They are SOOOOOO wrong. My husband's motto is, I believe, (and this is without consulting him) adopted from the movie "The Incredibles." It goes as follows: "Kids..listen to your mother." And my motto? It changes daily. Sometimes it's to find the gratitude moments, sometimes it's to live more in the moment, sometimes it's to plan better, and sometimes it's to make it through the day without hurting somebody. I think I need more consistency. Maybe that's it. Find one thing, and stick with it. Maybe I'll try that hopping thing.

14 Comments:

Blogger Lisa M. said...

Umm.. Very interesting..

I love your posts.

My favorite saying around the house is "Are YOU a parent" but that really isn't a motto. I don't know what mine would be.

Probably "Ya just gotta do, what ya gotta do!"

I am so unclever. *chuckle*

8/16/2005 01:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Susan M said...

My motto is:

Better living through repression

8/16/2005 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger mindy said...

Great post the wiz! My 3 year old has just entered the wonderful world of "Why?" She's a pretty smart little cookie, and didn't do it at the usual 2 1/2, so we were hoping she'd skip it. No such luck. She uses it for a multitude of purposes, and in place of things that we think would better fit the occasion. "We're going to the park now." "Why?!" said with enthusiasm and excitement. We think "Wow!" would fit better. She also is messing around with the essence of the self and the idea that she has a mind separate and unknowable to others, as she asks, "Mommy, why do I think sometimes that Jenny isn't my friend?" "Well, sweetie, I don't know. Why do you?" "No, tell me."

My 7 1/2 month old little boy's motto is "Bite everything. Especially mom." And this extends way beyond nursing traumas. I'm now constantly on guard for the little munchmouth to come crawling up to me, as I know his 6 teeth are about to come pinching down somewhere on my body.

My motto? Like the wiz, I think it fluctuates daily, and often depends on how well I was able to sleep the night before. But I think the general one right now is "Have faith & hang in there."

8/16/2005 11:34:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

6 teeth at 7 1/2 months! Holy cow. Munch-A-Rama! My kids didn't get there's until about a year. Good luck with that, mindy.

Love your motto susan m. LOL

8/17/2005 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

I mean 'theirs', not 'there's.' Holy cow, I must be tired. Maybe that's my motto: "Living from nap to nap."

8/17/2005 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger mindy said...

Thanks wiz. My daughter didn't get her first tooth until around 8 months, so this guy's early for us. He also started himself on solid food a good 4 months before my daughter, too. I guess since he was born at 10lb 10oz, he figures he's ahead of the game and needs to keep the advantage.

8/17/2005 02:11:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

My son's is "Why walk when you can jump off of something very, very high?"

He gets hurt a lot.

8/17/2005 06:03:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

My motto is get forgiveness instead of permission. Which most of you know.

8/17/2005 09:36:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I think my personal motto would be, "Will I regret it later?" but the one I find myself saying most often is, "When you gotta go, you gotta go." It's one of hazards of having a child who is always in denial about needing to use the bathroom.

8/18/2005 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

My motto is "This too shall pass". I've often thought that it would be hilarious to find (or make?) a cross-stitch sampler of that saying and put it in the bathroom...

Loved your kids mottos. I can't figure what mine would be. (At least not right now...)

8/18/2005 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kristen J said...

Hey my 14 month old daughter is workin on teeth numbers 11 and 12 right now. She has bitten me on the shoulder a number of times.

The motto I'm trying to convince my family is mine is, "I'm large and I'm in charge!"

8/18/2005 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger Ana said...

Great! You have a future Olympic trampoliner, a future business whiz, a future fundraiser, and a .... husband.

I think my motto is "Whatever works," except sometimes I find myself doing things that most emphatically do NOT work!

Maybe I should try more hopping.

8/18/2005 04:48:00 PM  
Blogger Bek said...

My motto in life is "ignore the crazy". It has served me well. It is the reason that 1) I am still married 2) I am still a member of the church and 3) I haven't given my children away!!! :-)

I should cross stitch it on a pillow!

8/18/2005 06:43:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

Bek, good motto. We have a lot of crazy people in my ward. I will go about ignoring them today. I will even ignore myself.

8/21/2005 10:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home