8/05/2005

Discoveries in my Backyard

Well, I just have to celebrate just a wee bit. After listening to Heather get all excited about the cucumbers she's grown in her garden, listening to her talk about Spinach/Artichoke Dip (which is just SO good, I can't even think about without getting hungry) made with fresh grown spinach, and reading about Nate preparing fresh salsa - again, with home grown ingredients, I just have to end this endless sentence by saying - I HAVE SOMETHING GROWING TOO! SO THERE! NYAH NYAH! The bonus part is, I didn't plant it, I've never weeded around it, heck, I never even knew it was there, and now I've just discovered it, just at the perfect time as it's ripening beautifully. Now I know you're all dying to know what it is in my "garden", and do I have life insurance in case it turns out lethal. Well, folks, here at the Wiz's house, we have freshly grown, beautifully plump, perfectly sweet, perfect-for-cobbler: blackberries!!! And I could not be happier about it. They are so tasty, my girls love to help pick them (despite the thorns that accompany them), and now I have an excuse to make more cobbler than should legally be allowed. But I have a great cobbler recipe, so if you ever want to stop by, chances are I will have some on hand. (unless DH got to it first.) Plus, now I get to ignore all the stands selling fresh blackberries, and just laugh at all the poor little people who didn't have enough sense to stumble upon unknown blackberries in their yard. Poor souls. Also, on the top of my "hill", in my "garden" (which I always thought before was just vines), we have chives! Who knew? Not as appealing to the youth in this household, but still very fun to have in the "garden", and perfect on baked potatoes and such. Maybe there's a way to store them that I don't know about. (Hint:If you have advice on how to store chives, I just blatantly asked for it. Also blackberries, although we seem to be consuming them at an alarmingly high rate.) So, if we ever have to use our food storage in earnest, well, since we pretty much just have wheat and sugar down there, I just hope it will be in the summer, and I will be able to say: "Let them eat cobbler."

14 Comments:

Anonymous Nichole said...

When I store fresh herbs in the fridge I wrap them in a damp paper towel and put them in a small ziploc bag. I also have dried chives. I think if you cut them up with kitchen scissors and just let them sit in the sun for a while it might do the trick, but I'm no chive expert. Now blackberries on the other hand...I live in the Pacific northwest and I'm pretty sure blackberries are our state weed. The greenbelt that backs our yard is full of them. We pick enough to last all year and freeze them in the big freezer bags. Free cobbler for everyone all year long!

8/05/2005 06:56:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Yes, I know blackberries are big in the Northwest, and considered weedlike.

Which to me, just says, hey! I don't have to take care of them. They just grow no matter what. So I might not actually kill them. Or maybe I will, who knows.

8/05/2005 07:06:00 PM  
Blogger Ryann said...

I have found that you can cut up fresh herbs and freeze them in ice cube trays with a little bit of water. When you want to use them, just let them sit and thaw. Works great!

8/05/2005 08:24:00 PM  
Anonymous claire said...

I froze blackberries we picked on a cookie sheet overnight and then in freezer bags and it worked great. The smushed ones I made into syrup (just boil with sugar).

Please post your cobbler recipe! You are making me hungry!

8/06/2005 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

I used to make the best Spinach salad with bacon, hard-boiled eggs,and a vinegar dressing. Boy, that sounds good.

8/06/2005 09:23:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

I so wish berries like that grew here! Sheesh.

Lucky duck and congrats!

8/07/2005 10:12:00 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Wow--We might have cucmbers and tomatoes and other great stuff, but no blackberries. Way to have a secret garden in your very own back yard!

8/08/2005 02:24:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Yeah, whatever, Heather. I know you just think they're all weeds. You can't back out of it now. Heh heh

8/08/2005 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Goochie said...

We found green onions in our backyard this year. I was all sorts of excited, even though I know they are extremely easy to grow in my climate. The hubby made a yummy omelet this weekend out of stuff from our yard. Tomatoes, zucchini, & green onion. It was good, especially because I didn't have to make it!

8/08/2005 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

Nichole, you could make a lot of money with those bags of blackberries.

I would pay you.

8/08/2005 09:59:00 PM  
Blogger annegb said...

Nichole, you could make a lot of money with those bags of blackberries.

I would pay you.

8/08/2005 10:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Nichole said...

I'd feel guilty for making you pay because we have so many around here. I wish I knew how to send fresh ones! Do they sell them in your stores there?

8/09/2005 01:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i am totally blown away with the blogs people have created its so much fun to read alot of good info and you have also one of the best blogs !! Have some time check my link of whole food.

10/07/2005 06:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a mommy too! I found your blog looking for other mommys and thought I'd let you know of a great live chat site for mommys... Its called Mommy Chats and its owned/operated by a mommy just like you! We have weekly chats on a variety of parenting topics and also have a partnership with Mothering Magazine and host all their informative chats with parenting experts! Come check it out!

10/08/2005 12:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home