7/31/2005

Miracles still exist today

Some time last week, my 11 month old woke up in the middle of the night screaming. I’m very blessed & he doesn’t do this very often anymore, so it was REALLY hard for me to get out of bed. After an hour of trying to console him & doing everything I could think of, I was out of ideas. I didn’t know what to do. So, I said a prayer. Something to this effect, “I have no idea what’s wrong with him. Please help me to know what to do & if I’ve done everything that can be done, please let him fall asleep in the next 5 minutes.” Well, he fell asleep! Truly a miracle. The next morning, I had a thought, maybe it was a coincidence that he fell asleep? How dare that thought come to my mind! Of course it wasn’t a coincidence! Why would that kind of thought even come into my head? I think all too often the adversary works on our minds & tries to make us think the miracles we encounter every day are just coincidences. I remember a talk given in our ward a few weeks ago. The man was talking about how his father went in for heart surgery & it was supposed to be fairly basic. He was given a blessing before he went into surgery stating that the doctor’s hands would be guided during the surgery. They encountered a problem during the surgery. The doctor was able to fix the problem & he ended up being fine. When the doctor came out to tell them about the surgery, he said that encountered a problem he had never seen before, but was able to pinpoint the problem quickly & knew exactly how to fix it. The doctor gave himself the credit stating that it’s good he has so much experience, went to such a great school, was able to think fast on his feet, etc. I'm sure all that stuff made a difference, but wasn’t it also a miracle? Why is it that we so often give ourselves the credit or justify miracles? How many miracles in my life do I pass off as luck or skill? And how many more miracles would come into my life if I just remembered to ask?

9 Comments:

Anonymous JKS said...

I know I've forgotten experiences like this that have happened. I should write them down. They mean so much at the time....you have a big problem, you are stressed, you need help.....the answer or help comes and the problem is over.
Sometimes the "miracle" is so anticlimactic.
I remember when my husband was in the hospital and they couldn't get his IV in. They kept torturing him and torturing him trying to get it in. He'd been through so much pain in the previous days and he asked if he really needed it and they insisted. So, he and I said a prayer and let them they could try again.
No problem. End of story.

8/01/2005 03:08:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Great post. I like to think the fact that my children all were really great sleepers was a miracle. People tell me it's because I like to sleep so much (I mean, who doesn't?) and they inherited it genetically from me. Fine. They can think that.

I personally think it's a "minor" miracle (if there is such a thing), because I know the Lord knows what I can handle, and continued sleep deprivation is not on that list.

8/01/2005 11:36:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea Wright said...

I'm learning that I need to remember to ask for a lot more, but also recognize and be grateful for a lot more.

I'm much happier when I acknowledge and am grateful for even the smallest heavenly gifts.

8/01/2005 03:20:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

Miracles do exist today. Big and small. They amaze me everyday.

8/02/2005 03:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Chad Too said...

I don't know if it was original to her, but Pat Holland (Elder Holland's wife) is very fond of saying, "Coincidence is merely a miracle in which God chooses to remain anonymous." I concur.

8/02/2005 07:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm a mommy too! I found your blog looking for other mommys and thought I'd let you know of a great live chat site for mommys... Its called Mommy Chats and its owned/operated by a mommy just like you! We have weekly chats on a variety of parenting topics and also have a partnership with Mothering Magazine and host all their informative chats with parenting experts! Come check it out!

10/08/2005 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger heropoo said...

Just thought i would say hi from Japan. Doing some blog surfing and found your site. Im looking for some cool styles of fleet credit card for my own blog. Theres some really amazing blogs about. if you have time check out my site you will find information on fleet credit card. Well when i get my blog running hope you come and check it out.

10/09/2005 07:59:00 AM  
Blogger Jim Naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about horse toy. It pretty much covers horse toy related stuff.

10/09/2005 09:51:00 AM  
Blogger startonline said...

Hey, this blog is neat. I already added it to my favorites. I have a site that pretty much covers unsecured credit card web site related stuff.

10/10/2005 11:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home