7/15/2005

Band Aid or No Band Aid?

Thursdays are my day of the week when I get a break from diaper changes, the sound of noisy toys that don’t seem to have an off button (I now know to look for this feature when purchasing a toy—except pretty soon the little one will know how to flip the off switch, so maybe it doesn’t matter. Taking out the batteries has the same effect. I normally don’t mind the noise, but they all seem to play a song that gets stuck in my head ALL day long), & trying to keep an eye on my curious 11-month old boy--who seems to hurt himself or touch something he shouldn’t the second I’m not looking. My sister-in-law & I take turns watching each other’s kids because we do both work part time. I have her little girl 2 days a week & she watches mine on Thursdays. Yesterday was a VERY productive day. I worked almost 8 hours & got many house chores done that had been lingering around calling my name every time I looked in their direction. The DH went to pick up the baby after work (I’ll refer to the baby as Jr from now on—even though he does NOT share DH’s name followed by a Jr or a II—The closest I would get is having DH’s first name as his middle name, but that’s a different blog). DH called on his way home saying in a frantic voice, “Meet me outside in the driveway in 1 minute & get Jr”. I thought I heard screaming in the background & thought it was a strange request. That wouldn’t be the first strange request I’ve received, so I said OK. So DH comes racing up the driveway & stops where I’m standing (still wondering what’s going on). My hearing didn’t deceive me when I was on the phone & Jr was screaming at the top of his lungs. I asked what was wrong & DH replies that Jr hurt his finger. I get Jr out of the car seat because DH didn’t seem to think it could wait for him to pull into the garage & get Jr out himself; hence the phone call to meet him outside. I take a look at Jr’s finger & it looks like a potato peeler got to his fingertip, but is NOT an awful injury by any means. I guess he got his fingertip stuck in a door that he closed & then pulled it out & took off his skin. I’m surprised something like this hasn’t happened before because he’s always playing with doors. Anyway, I take him inside & give him a drink (he LOVES to drink) to calm him down. He’d been crying all the way home & was completely worked up. I then attempt to put an ointment & a band aid on it. After several attempts with a screaming baby pulling his hand away, I finally get the first band aid & 10 seconds later it falls off. I try a different kind, it falls off after a minute. I try a different brand & it stays on probably 10 minutes. Then I decided to just give up. Does he need one? He won’t touch anything with that finger because it hurts, so maybe it doesn’t matter? I have no idea. Would he just take it off when I’m not looking & choke on it anyway? In the meantime, I’m still wondering why DH couldn’t take him out of the car…:)

5 Comments:

Blogger The Wiz said...

Poor kid. He's OK without a band-aid. Later on in life, he will insist on a band-aid for anything that remotely feels like an owie. Just watch it for infection, keep the Neosporin handy.:)

Now, as to your husband - did he not feel competent to comfort his child, or did Jr reject his attempts to comfort? Did this happen in the car or at the sitter's house, hence he had to listen to him scream the whole time home?

I know, Mommy always seems to be more comforting in times such as these - that was overwhelming to me - I'm 'Mommy?' I make owies better? What?

7/15/2005 03:57:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Band Aids are tough when they are so small. I wouldn't worry about it. There will plenty of time for that when they are older and think that their entire bodies have to be plastered with band-aids all the time, and only the Sesame Street ones will do!

Mommies always make things better. Daddies freak out more than Mommies. Sounds like your DH was even more distraught than Jr!

7/15/2005 05:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Andrea Wright said...

Goochie (no "t"?), I'm so impressed that you were so productive while your baby was gone. I'm afraid I would have opted for a 5 hour nap!

Your poor baby boy, it's so sad to see them so upset -- oh and how sad for your son, too -- tee hee.

Your husband sounds a lot like mine. They're baffling at times, but definitely worth it. :)

Funny post. I look forward to reading more.

7/15/2005 07:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Susan M said...

Once my son was playing out on our street with some neighbor kids, and for some reason they were throwing rocks at each other. I know, right? So he gets hit in the forehead and has a pretty big size gash, blood all down his face.

Someone driving by sees him, stops and gives him a napkin. I know, right?

So he comes walking in with blood all over and a napkin pressed to his forehead.

Fortunately, my husband was there, because I do not handle situations like that well, and he's like a rock. He takes our son into the bathroom to clean him up. My son was fine until he saw himself in the mirror, at which point he went so pale I thought he was going to faint. He was fine, though. And still has a big scar in the middle of his forehead.

Then there was the time he did a wheelie on his bike and the front wheel came off...

7/15/2005 08:43:00 PM  
Blogger Goochie said...

It happened at DH's brother's house. So, I found out the scoop from DH. He did try to comfort him before he left & got the bleeding to stop. Poor kid had blood everywhere. Jr was screaming when DH went to pick him up, screamed when DH tried to comfort him & SCREAMED the whole way home. I guess Jr did need his 'Mommy' after all...although 'Mommy' doesn't have a clue what she's doing...

7/17/2005 11:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home