6/29/2005

Talking to your children

The well has run dry. I am completely out of things to say for now, so I thought I'd turn it over to my 4 yr old daughter. I asked her some questions, and here are her answers, verbatim. Any resemblance to "Kids Say the Darndest Things" is purely coincidental, and I should not be sued. Got it? Mom: What do you think about Joseph Smith? 4yo: (squirming, clearly not wanting to answer - sees a picutre on the desk) Oh, I forgot this picture. It's for you. This picture is for you. I ripded it to open it. It's for you Mommy. Mom: What do you think of President Hinckley? 4yo: I remember when he dieded. Mom: President Hinckley is still alive. 4yo: Oh, yeah. I forgot. I just know when he dieded, but he didn't die. Mom: Ok, different question. Who is your favorite dog? 4yo: Maggie!! (laughter) My favorite dog is Maggie. Mom: Do you like going to bed? 4yo: ummm....a little bit. Can I not brush my teeth because I hurted myself? Mom: Did you hurt your mouth? 4yo: No, I hurted my forehead. I hurted my forehead right here. Are those the questions you're asking me? Here, I'll get you a new pen. Mom: Where's your favorite place to go? 4yo: Umm...the zoo! (At this point, 6 yo enters the room) 6yo: I have two favorite places to go. One is Chuck E. Cheeses and the other is Jungle Gym. I went to Jungle Gym for Sage's birthday party, remember? 4yo: Oh, yeah! I have two favorite places, too. Chuck E. Cheese and pretend Jungle Gym. 6yo: (agitated) You've never been to Jungle Gym! 4yo: (smugly) I've been to PRETEND Jungle Gym. (unable to deal with this logic, 6yo stomps out of the room) Mom: OK, back to questions. Do you think we should buy a new washing machine if we found maggots in ours? 4Yo: Yes. Mom: Do you know what maggots are? 4yo: No. (pause) What? It's not my fault. Why is everybody looking at me? Mom: What's not your fault? 4yo: I'm just pretending. Mom: What do you think of President Bush's Social Security plan? 4yo: Um, I think it's...I think it's.... I keep thinking dogs and people, dogs and people, dogs and people. I keep thinking it. I love being a mom.

10 Comments:

Anonymous JKS said...

The other day:


Me: Hmmm, I think you need a haircut, your hair is growing kinda long.

5 yr old son: I think I keep watering it too much.

6/29/2005 07:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Susan M said...

Haha! This is precious.

Once I told my youngest my favorite number was 7, and asked what his was. He said, without a blink, "350,201." I told him my favorite word was enthusiasm, and asked what his was. He said, again without a pause, "Seven."

6/29/2005 07:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Mary said...

"I've been to PRETEND jungle gym."

That is so funny!

6/29/2005 08:05:00 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I asked Jacob about the maggots, too. He agreed that we should get a new washer, but he didn't know what a maggot was. When I told him that it was a worm that turned into a fly, his eyes lit up and he said in a sing song voice, "OOHH!"

Somehow I didn't have the heart to tell him that maggots are just not the same as the Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Great post. Your little girl is hilarious.

6/29/2005 10:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Sue M said...

I wish I could reach through the monitor and give her a big hug. Although that would probably freak her out.

6/30/2005 12:10:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Yes, nothing like PRETEND jungle gym. Didn't know she went there. That was my favorite part, actually.

sue m - hysterical.

jks - Please make sure your son doesn't stop washing his hair in the hopes that it will stop growing. It's just the thing my girls would do.:)

6/30/2005 01:11:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

So funny. Thanks!

My contribution. My 5 yo to my 8 yo: "Stop ANTAGONIZING me!" (She didn't appreciate my laughter, though...)

6/30/2005 11:25:00 AM  
Blogger ubercyl said...

I asked my 5yo son the exact same questions. Besides "Chuck E. Cheese and the Jumping Gym" (a local gymnastics place we occasionally get to visit) every other answer was "I don't know." Not much fun. My 2yo daughter is still too young for the game.

6/30/2005 02:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kristen J said...

My 3 year old was being encouraged to finish her breakfast one morning when she claimed she was too full to finish her toast.

Her aunt nagged her a little bit more about finishing her toast and she replied, "I'm not hungry anymore. I can lick the toast but I can't eat it!" At which point she licked it and set it down.

6/30/2005 07:28:00 PM  
Blogger Tandy said...

I am continuously amused by the things my daughter says. She'll be three in August. I'd like to think I have done a fairly good job at introducing her to the gospel, but her knowledge is limited to primary songs, prayers, and who Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are - she does know about President Hinckley too. I asked her what she thought about Joseph Smith and she said "Ummm, he doesn't make me....very happy."

I have decided on the next topic for FHE. :)

6/30/2005 10:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home