3/11/2005

Just For Me - thoughts on pediatricians

Well, since it appears that nobody is reading this blog, or if they are, they're not commenting, then I guess I'm posting "just for me." Which is fine, really, because all I need is an outlet. Also, it could be possible that blogger is not letting anybody comment, and I like that thought because really, when all else fails, I like to blame the inanimate object. So I take my oldest daughter (5 yr) to gymnastics today, and was very surprised to see Niles Crane, aka my pediatrician. Apparently he has a daughter just my daughter's age, who's also enrolled in gymanstics. Coincidence? (yes, probably) Is there really such a thing? (debatable) A little background here -- he was the pediatrician available when my daughter (4 yr) had the nasty rectal issues (see previous post), since my regular one had moved. But originally when my dr. moved, the clinic wanted me to choose another Dr, and I chose Tall Lady. However, Tall Lady was unavailable to see my little Sweetpea with the Incredible Vacationing Colon, so we got sent to Niles. Clear as mud? So, I loved the way Niles handled the situation and basically cared for us, so I decided to make him the regular pediatrician for all my kids, especially since Tall Lady hadn't actually seen my kids, so I didn't think she would care. BUT, since I had already made an appointment for my son's 18 month check with Tall Lady, I decided to keep it, since appointments are hard to get at this clinic, and he was basically a healthy kid, just needed his vaccines updated. He had a rash, which she could not diagnose or treat. She said to just put lotrimin on it, and excema medicine, maybe a little Neosporin, and see what happens. Well, I've noticed it's been spreading down his legs, and no amount of any lotions are doing anything about it. I was just wondering if I should take him in, when I run into Niles at gymnastics, and I figured, hey, a little free medical care! (Don't doctors love it when we ask them medical questions outside of the office? I'm sure they do. They don't want a life outside of medicine, do they?) Well, he told me exactly what it was (viral-linked to the cold he was getting over), how long it would last, (a few weeks to a month - quite a while in the life of a rash) and what I should do about it (nothing). It was awesome! And although I felt a little bad about taking the free medical advice and interrupting his day, it also made me wonder about the reason he was the one I got sent to when Sweetpea was sick. See, I'm not so sure I believe in coincidences at all, because he knew exactly what to do with my daughter (incidentally, when I ran into my old dr. and told him about the prolapse, his eyes got wide and he said "Wow! I've never seen one of those!"). Today, he did not seem to mind looking at my son. I really think that one of the reasons we were thrown together today was the Lord telling me he had chosen my pediatrician, and assuring me that He was looking out for my family. I firmly believe there is a solid reason that he is our doctor, even though I had made a different choice originally. I know it's a little thing, and it could be coincidence after all, but I like synchronicities like that, and I choose to feel comforted.

9 Comments:

Anonymous J. Stapley said...

I think that there are people reading this (especially since you are listed on the MA), but I have to admit that rectal issues are less than fun.

I have no idea (I should ask my brother the neonatiologist), but could it be similar to OB-Gyns? i.e., getting a female is difficult because they are simply in greater demand.

3/12/2005 01:38:00 AM  
Anonymous JKS said...

I have a casual friend who has Stage 4 cancer (early 30s, 3 little kids, any prayers welcome). She and her mom are in my ward. Even before her diagnosis, she had challenges in her life no one would envy.
She was given 4-6 weeks to live, and immediately the RS president came over. They had never met before due to ward boundary changes and recent moves to another state and back. Anyway, this RS president told her to look for small miracles.
She thought, "what?" I mean, there is only one miracle she was looking for and its a big one.
But they tell me they have experienced many small miracles.

We have so much to be grateful for in our lives. We are given everything we are, everything we have. Pride can easily make us forget this as we pat ourselves on the back for being so smart, so capable, etc.
The Lord helps us so much in so many ways. He's there when we need him. His hand is in our life whether we see it or not.
You would be ungrateful not to thank God for a good doctor who is there and helps you and your child.
God doesn't only intercede with the big stuff. He knows everything and can do anything. I've gotten answers to prayers. And I've gotten answers to questions I was just beginning to ask.
Everything I learn that helps me in my life, I can thank God for. Sometimes indirectly, he gave me life, he gave me my mind and my talents so I could learn. But sometimes, I know that He lined things up so I would read that, or be there or talk to that person.
There really is no better way to parent. The consequences of failure as a parent are so huge. As I've dealt with my child's speech disorder over the past 3 years, I've had to turn over some of my burden to the Lord. I couldn't cure him. I could research and work with him and give it every ounce of energy I had, but I couldn't make it go away. But realizing that God was there helping me, guiding me and that he was in charge was a big enough miracle.
I wonder, sometimes, how often I fail to notice, fail to realize. I am sure it is often. I am still learning what the gospel means, what my Savior does for me. I think the more humble we are, the more we try to submit ourselves to God's will, the more he can bless us.

Has anyone read "Confronting the Myth of Self Esteem--Twelve Keys to Finding Peace" by Ester Rasband. I recommend it and would love to discuss it.

3/12/2005 02:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Andrea Wright said...

Rest assured it's the inaminate object's fault. I have had trouble trying to comment.

There's nothing better than a great pediatrician, especially when you have to deal with things as traumatic as your poor daughter's experience. I say absolutely take comfort in being led to a most precious resource for your family.

3/12/2005 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

jks - loved your comment! It's so true, because even though I had made an informed, good decision about who to pick as a doctor, the lord knew better and interceded on my behalf. We do what we can, but the Lord can do so much more, and helps us out so much in "small miracles".

I hope your friend is doing as well as can be expected with such a trial.

3/12/2005 01:05:00 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/12/2005 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger Amy Lynn said...

I totally believe in the God directing every tiny detail of my life "coincidences"! (I KNOW I didn't spell that last word correctly). Strange thing...one of the biggest miracles lately has been our choice of pediatrician who I picked out of a huge list in the phone book and has been our LIFESAVER over the last few years. Funny thing though...I ran into him at the pool last summer and when he said HI and we had the 5 minutes conversation, I couldn't figure out who he was. I knew I knew him but couldn't place him in his swimming suit holding an intertube. Hmm...insanity settling in?

3/12/2005 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger fMhLisa said...

The number of comments has very little corralation (sp? sorry, I can't spell, hey now I have that in common with someone you know.) to how many hits you get. I got 1,600 hits when that NYT article hit, and 60 comments. Some days, I'll get hundreds of hits and no comments. You should get a hit counter, they're free and it'll ease your curiosity (sp? again).

And I'm so glad you found a good doc. It's such a comfort.

3/13/2005 04:56:00 AM  
Blogger annegb said...

I have loved every pediatrician I ever went to, but two are particularly in my hall of fame.

My (now 18) beautiful daughter was really sick and our regular GP was out of town, so I took her to this new pediatrician in town. She had to be hospitalized. It was traumatic, but we got close to Dr. Krumlik.

Well, I did, my husband never did really warm to him. Krumlik was from Czechoslavakia, and he was a character. He would light into you "Vy on earth would you veed your baby unpasteurized meeelk? America is de only contry in de vorld vere it is leegal to feed children unpastuerized meeelk? Are you crazy?" He told my husband to shut up and nearly got clocked.

But he loved the kids. He refused to give my daughter an antibiotic shot and when she refused to take the medicine (taste is yucky), I insisted. He looked at her like a mournful hounddog and said, "you vant to tohture her, very vell, ve vill tohture her. I am so sorry, my leetle crocodile." He cried, too, as he gave her the shot. But she took her medicine from then on out.

What a hoot he was. He ended up being run out of town on a rail because he made to many young moms cry. I just gave back as good as I got and told him respect went both ways, I got right in his face. And we never had another problem.

Then we went to a great guy from Iraq. Boy, the best doctor we ever had.

We get a lot of doctors from other countries here, I actually suspect one of sexually molesting me, but since I wasn't traumatized, I just think of him with repugnance. Long story.

Well, pediatricians rock.

Oh, thank you for the Ester Rasband recommendation. She wrote a wonderful book called Man and Woman: Joy in Oneness, avoiding the adversary relationship. She's been my hero ever since.

3/14/2005 10:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Heather O said...

I think small miracles keep us going when the big ones don't always come. They are the Lord's way of telling us that He still cares, even when the big stuff doesn't always go the way we want it to.

3/14/2005 10:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home